What Is Your Favorite Kind Of Fossil?

Wakaritai

As the title asks, what is your favorite kind(s) of fossil? I'm sure everyone has their favorite few, but I still don't know what types tend to be popular.

I'll leave "kind" fairly open to interpretation. It could be a group of fossil types (Trilobites, Crinoids, etc.), a specific species (T. arthropoda, P. planus, etc.), specific replacement mineral, specific matrix, etc.

Feel free to post image examples.

At the moment I'm going to have to go with crinoids in general. I've seen some amazing specimens on here and the internet. I wish I could find one myself :(

Well I think it has something to do with location and the era the fossils are from as for me there are tons of shark teeth to find but personally I love skulls my favorite happens to be croc. Over all I love teeth.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I agree with Lord Piney -- Ammonites! But trilobites run a close second, followed by crinoids among the invertebrates.

For verts, I like turtles, oredonts, and fish.

Edited by 2ynpigo

Guest Smilodon

As a dealer, my favorite type of fossils are the ones that have just sold :P

As a collector, my favorites have recently changed from Elephants to (from way off Broadway) CATS! I'm not talkin' 'bout little furballs, I'm talkin' 'bout big honkin' CATS. :D

All sort of fossils

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

Anything that I have found or ones found by friends here and traded for or gifted to me.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Ammolite ammonites and Desmostylus teeth! However Shark Teeth are my "comfort fossil" :P

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

My 'field' of collecting is very narrow and self-imposed (time/space/money issues).

What I love (but cannot allow myself to collect) are beautiful fossils that display well, especially if they are in-matrix and iconic in some way (famous site, remarkable preservation, taxonomic mysteries...). A day doesn't go by that I'm not stopped in my tracks by something posted here on the Forum.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My favorite are teeth. Specifically shark teeth. This is primarily due to my location.

It is really the hunt that is my favorite. As long as I find it, it is my favorite type of fossil.

Pentax Optio W60

I love all fossils, though my views are the same as Auspex's. I do have a large collection of insect fossils (Green River) and would love to go there for some hunting!

My favorite fossils are the ones that show detail and completeness. While a fossil protruding from matrix may make a nice display I would prefer it free of matrix to show the complete life form. A well preserved snail or echinoid that is complete is a joy to behold. Disarticulation at death is a fact I have to struggle with. I think that is why I like snails and corals the most.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Verts first followed by shark's teeth.

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

I suppose Dinosaurs is too astronomical of a category. I must say that I like hips and cheeks and toes. More specifically I like the structure of the Permian pelvis, as well as the Dinosaurian structures. Maxilla's are a lot of fun, especially when they are full of teeth. Lots of info there. And toes. Toes are so cute. Big ones little ones, reptile and amphibian toes are just cute as a button. Ok. Too much sugar there. I just like bones.

Chris

Shark teeth; there just something about the range in sizes, shapes and colours that makes them so collectable.

I love anything I find, or see that looks great, but,... I kinda have a thing for Gastropods. blush.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

After a day on the Forum, it gets harder to narrow things down!

"Hash" plates, and ichnofossils, and coal swamp flora (and fauna), and articulated Texas Permian amphibians with straight ribs, and...and...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

HA!

After a day on the Forum, it gets harder to narrow things down!

"Hash" plates, and ichnofossils, and coal swamp flora (and fauna), and articulated Texas Permian amphibians with straight ribs, and...and...

Thanks for all your posts! I'm actually pretty surprised to find that there is so much diversity in fossil affection lol

btw, what is a "hash" plate?