What Is Your Favorite Kind Of Fossil?

Wakaritai

I love the ammonites, but I have concentrated on one layer so not to 'dilute' my efforts in collecting.... and also the rock that is under where I live, the Upper Carboniferous, I find allsorts in that, I collect the layer not something specific from it..... Good luck with your collecting..... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I really loooooove snails and shells from the Neogene(I think they are a sort of "nuisance" by paleontologists and fossil hunters), but anything that is already extinct, will be on my collection...

post-62-1270205226206_thumb.jpg

post-62-12702052568514_thumb.jpg

post-62-12702053091588_thumb.jpg

btw, what is a "hash" plate?

A plate of (usually) sea floor that is full of bits and pieces of the ancient denizens. I like to play Paleo Where's Waldo :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A plate of (usually) sea floor that is full of bits and pieces of the ancient denizens. I like to play Paleo Where's Waldo :)

In that case I'll have to take some pics of some that I have. Those hash plates are pretty common here. And I've found several that seem to be both well preserved and exposed to the point where many of the pieces may be identifiable. They are mostly microfossils, though. I'll make a hash fossil thread here in the near future.

still loving the replies btw, and nice example pics :)

Edited by Wakaritai

I really like Dino bones any type, although I have never found any yet. I dare say they are more easily found over there in the US, judging by the amount on this forum.

Other than that I like anything that I find, obviously it's great to find something I have never found before. :blush:

Ade

I like every kind of nice looking fossils but my favorite are the calcified and the pyritised,this is a group of mine,cheers

post-2325-12702413921272_thumb.jpg

I like every kind of nice looking fossils but my favorite are the calcified and the pyritised,this is a group of mine,cheers

<sigh> :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon

How could I forget? In addition to "big honkin' cats,"

post-2027-12702489915197_thumb.jpg

I'm also partial to polished petrified wood.

post-2027-1270249101973_thumb.jpg

I see a white river rushing into a tunnel or vortex, don't you? C'mon, don't you too?

BTW that's a limb coming out at about 9:00

Ammonites!:wub:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Well I think it has something to do with location and the era the fossils are from as for me there are tons of shark teeth to find but personally I love skulls my favorite happens to be croc. Over all I love teeth.

I started out collecting ammonites and a little of everything so I could have a representation of life across time but soon found myself really getting into shark teeth. As you said, it had to do partly with where I live since there is a lot of Miocene and Pliocene marine rock in California.

Pretty much any well preserved fossil, but crabs and heteromorph ammonites are tops on my list of fossils to find! Cracking open a concretion and finding something cool is just about as good as it gets

Cephalopods rule!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love finding trilobites, sea lilys, complete detailed brachiopods , and cephelopods. Combing over the bottom of a roadcut reminds me of the I SPY books I used to read to my kids. I also like to take certain specimens and cut them in half and polish them to see the interior details- Cool!

post-3088-12715966239169_thumb.jpg

post-3088-12715966456839_thumb.jpg

post-3088-12715967062587_thumb.jpg

Bootsie:

Cool cephalopods!

I can see the attaction there!smile.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 year later...

Hmmm i guess for me it would have to be dinosaur teeth, particularly Moroccan dino teeth (Carcharodontosaurus, Spinosaurus, Raptor etc).

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Bison. The bigger the better.

Then, any warm-blooded giants, particularly those with head ornaments of some kind, be it antlers, horns or tusks.

Then their predators, the bigger the better.

Used to be ammonites when I lived in England, but is now Devonian fish since I now live in Orkney. I guess that's what determines the choice.

I have to 2nd something Auspex said - taxonomic mysteries... Not too many of them in my Cretaceous area, though, they tend to occur more in the earlier ages of which there isn't much accessible to me (Paleozoic, Precambrian). Stuff from the lagerstatten.