Turtle Prep

Ptychodus04

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This thing is eating my lunch. The matrix right on top of the bone is sticky like Bottom Cap material.

Just call me Eddie Haskel.  Im just givin you the 'business'.   I remember sittin on my grandma's knee when I was about 2 and she told me if I ever find out what I was good at to keep doing it.  Me thinks I found out what that was.  :heartylaugh:

RB

19 hours ago, rocket said:

3 1/2 month to Denver :zen:, time enough :rolleyes:

:default_faint:

15 hours ago, RJB said:

Just call me Eddie Haskel.  Im just givin you the 'business'.   I remember sittin on my grandma's knee when I was about 2 and she told me if I ever find out what I was good at to keep doing it.  Me thinks I found out what that was.  :heartylaugh:

RB

I know. :P

At least you’re good at something other than prepping. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1

That’s looking really cool Kris! I can only prep for an hour or two at a time. It takes too much concentration to go longer than that and I start damaging stuff. I don’t know how you pros do it…

1 hour ago, Titan said:

That’s looking really cool Kris! I can only prep for an hour or two at a time. It takes too much concentration to go longer than that and I start damaging stuff. I don’t know how you pros do it…

Thanks. It's all about comfortable setup and good tools. I have an adjustable height work table that allows me to place a specimen at a comfortable height regardless of the size. This lets me work without having to bend over in an odd way. Couple this with a lot of lighting to reduce eye strain, and quality scribes that don't vibrate a lot and you get multiple hour work sessions. I can usually go 3-4 hours without a break and can easily do 10 hours in a day if the rest of my schedule works out.

• Enjoyed 1

This is so exciting!! May I ask what equipment you're using? Are you using any chemicals to preserve it as you go?

3 hours ago, boxofrocks said:

This is so exciting!! May I ask what equipment you're using? Are you using any chemicals to preserve it as you go?

Sure, I'm using 2 air scribes (ME9100 and HW70) to remove the bulk of the matrix. When I get close to the bone, I switch to micro abrasive (Vaniman Problast w/ iron powder) to get the last bits of matrix off. I'm using Paraloid B72 to stabilize any soft or fractured bone. This specimen has extremely variable preservation. The bones that were covered with sediment quickly are very well preserved and stable. The bits that were exposed longer show a high level of decomposition and are very soft. These are the main areas requiring stabilization. All the work is being done under a stereo microscope at 10X magnification.

Not directly a turtle update, but can we observe a moment of silence for my bank account? I just got off the phone with Brook at Paleo Tools placing the order for a new Swam Blaster and a handful of styli for various scribes. :default_faint:

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Not directly a turtle update, but can we observe a moment of silence for my bank account? I just got off the phone with Brook at Paleo Tools placing the order for a new Swam Blaster and a handful of styli for various scribes. :default_faint:

giphy.gif

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

• 3 weeks later...

I put aside the skull block in order to keep from throwing it aside and started work on another piece. This one is going much better and contains portions of a foot.

389200B2-8DB0-44FF-A304-F2E1FFA61A2A.thumb.jpeg.f8aa65022e7e67c476944482b73dfcaa.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

The classic sanity swap to keep us working without indulging the rage! :D

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like you need a 'Rock Sub'?  What is that you ask.   Its a piece of equipment that takes you down deep in the rock so you can work on the fossil.   Looks like your going mighty deep to get to the actual bones of that thing.  Looking purty dang cool though! 

RB

38 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looks like you need a 'Rock Sub'?  What is that you ask.   Its a piece of equipment that takes you down deep in the rock so you can work on the fossil.   Looks like your going mighty deep to get to the actual bones of that thing.  Looking purty dang cool though! 

RB

That would be nice! There are definitely areas where I felt like a kid digging to China in order to get to the bones.

Sounds like you are building up a pretty good arsenal of tools! If only they didn't cost quite so much.

That turtle is looking really good! I am really looking forward to seeing this beast of a turtle finished.

-Micah

14 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Sounds like you are building up a pretty good arsenal of tools! If only they didn't cost quite so much.

That turtle is looking really good! I am really looking forward to seeing this beast of a turtle finished.

-Micah

Tools, tools, and more tools. It never ends. I also ordered 2 scribes from ZOIC last week. That will put me at 8 different scribes in my quiver. I guess the old adage of "you have to spend money to make money" is true. :P

I'll be glad to see it completed as well. It's taking up an inordinate amount of space in my lab. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Game on!

You send that bad boy over to me. :D

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Tools, tools, and more tools. It never ends. I also ordered 2 scribes from ZOIC last week. That will put me at 8 different scribes in my quiver. 

ZOIC is a really nice company, and I really like my Chicago. I just need to get around to ordering a new stylus, as my old one broke because I was being a little to aggresive, and that is a really easy thing to do. 

26 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Game on!

941E2167-1327-41F5-B280-A3CB8857AA95.jpeg

Ooh! Very nice!

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

57 minutes ago, Kane said:

You send that bad boy over to me. :D

I’ll get it packed up and on it’s way to you ASAP.

35 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

ZOIC is a really nice company, and I really like my Chicago. I just need to get around to ordering a new stylus, as my old one broke because I was being a little to aggresive, and that is a really easy thing to do. 

Ooh! Very nice!

-Micah

They were very helpful ahead of the purchase. They even made my scribes with the correct US industrial connector even when I forgot to select it when I ordered it. I can’t wait to get them. They are even modifying them for diffuse exhaust per my request.

• I found this Informative 1

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

They were very helpful ahead of the purchase. They even made my scribes with the correct US industrial connector even when I forgot to select it when I ordered it. I can’t wait to get them. They are even modifying them for diffuse exhaust per my request.

They definitely go the extra mile for customers. I ordered a part because I thought I would need it, and they emailed me to make sure if it was something I needed, it turned out to be something I did not need.

-Micah

• Enjoyed 1

I got the Swam blaster up and running yesterday and with some tuning, she's ripping through the turtle matrix. I had to drill out the orifices in the orifice plate to significantly increase the abrasive flow for the turtle. Of course, this means that I will have way too much abrasive flow for more delicate preps... Nothing to fear, for a measly $250, I can get a different plate with smaller orifices and swap it out in about a minute.

On top of all this, I noticed that I'm getting some condensation past my desiccant. Now, I have close to $300 worth of water/oil filter and desiccant replacements on their way. :duh2: