Turtle Prep

Ptychodus04

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

..... Last year, my timeline was really tight so,  had to make the drive there and back in one day! Technically, it was 26 hours round trip with a whole 2 hours in Denver. I hope I never have to do that again. It was a horrible drive. :duh2:

:DOH:  OMG, that sounds horrible.  I actually like long haul drives, but 12 hours is pushing my max for a day.  I would probably pass out and crash attempting something like a round trip to Denver without an overnight.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

You are bringing this to Denver in Sept?  I may go down and would love to see it and say Hi.  Only 4 hrs for me.  I don't get to Denver for the show every year, but maybe this year. 

I've been tempted to go see the Denver show for the last few years, but I haaaaaate Denver so its been hard to pull the trigger on a trip.  Current fuel prices arent helping much. but I still kinda want to go. :headscratch:

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

On 7/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m going to scream… I just typed out a long update and turned right around and accidentally deleted all the text. :default_faint:

Let’s try this again…

I had to build a new prep box. I was managing to get abrasive all over the lab using my smaller box that sits on top of the slab. So, off to Home Depot I went and $200 later (materiel costs are insane) I had all I needed to build a new 4’x4’ box that is just big enough to move around my largest slab.

Unfortunately, this is a lot more real estate than I’m used to, so the recently modified lab is feeling crowded again. I see another rearranging in my future. :duh2:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand… turtle prep. The matrix has become quite variable. Some of the bone is directly overlaid by hard, sticky, matrix while other areas are overlaid by more typical soft matrix. This stuff preps a lot faster but the preservation isn’t as good as the bone is more broken.

0FD7A3BD-EC31-4AA9-9EC5-EAB269F73242.thumb.jpeg.73621c48ae4b195b100a966a11337903.jpeg

Coming along nicely! Love the texture on the shell, but I bet it is a challenge to prep. 

How deep is it buried in the block? The matrix looks to be a couple of inches thick in the photo, or is that an illusion from the angle the picture was taken at?

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

11 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

:DOH:  OMG, that sounds horrible.  I actually like long haul drives, but 12 hours is pushing my max for a day.  I would probably pass out and crash attempting something like a round trip to Denver without an overnight.

It was. The last 2.5 hours nearly did me in. Honestly, I should have stopped and slept at some point but the 12 pack of Mountain Dew had really kicked in. 

8 hours ago, jpc said:

You are bringing this to Denver in Sept?  I may go down and would love to see it and say Hi.  Only 4 hrs for me.  I don't get to Denver for the show every year, but maybe this year. 

That’s my goal. I’m trying to get it done in time to deliver it to my client at the show. I’ll let you know what day I’ll be there when it gets closer.

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Coming along nicely! Love the texture on the shell, but I bet it is a challenge to prep. 

How deep is it buried in the block? The matrix looks to be a couple of inches thick in the photo, or is that an illusion from the angle the picture was taken at?

Thanks. The texturing is a real challenge to prep effectively. I have to stop scribing well before I get to the bone and switch to abrasive for the rest. I’ve gone through close to 75 pounds of iron powder so far. Thankfully, I’m able to recover around 90% of it either in the box or out of the bucket in my collection system.

Generally, it’s around 1” down but there are portions that are 2” deep. The matrix is really soft until you get right above the bone and the last 1/8th of an inch is a hard organic rich layer, probably decomposed turtle flesh.

Here’s a current status photo. I’ve found the anterior  (left of photo) edge of the carapace but have not made it to the posterior yet. I had to switch to panoramic mode on my phone to get the whole thing in one image. Note the 1” scale cube in the upper left. It really puts the size of this beast into perspective.

D7AC8FE5-A639-4811-8A05-9BAB6802B284.thumb.jpeg.04ff7a6fb2e5e0d3895540cd8ab30653.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

On 7/22/2022 at 9:12 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Generally, it’s around 1” down but there are portions that are 2” deep.

Holy Cow!  Your removing some serious rock fella! 

RB

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

So you've glued 2 pieces together now?

This is just a zoomed out picture of the block.  It’s all one piece. :default_faint:

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Holy Cow!  Your removing some serious rock fella! 

RB

It’s definitely a lot of matrix to remove!

• I found this Informative 1

18 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

More progress on the carapace.

CABA7BFB-6D8C-448D-84A6-795E1C59320B.thumb.jpeg.bd479983f4c21483c6947f4bc54526bf.jpeg

It is looking pretty nice! It looks like at least part of the carapace is pretty well preserved. And that is a lot better than none of it! 

-Micah

50 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

It is looking pretty nice! It looks like at least part of the carapace is pretty well preserved. And that is a lot better than none of it! 

-Micah

Actually, the whole thing is really well preserved. What appears to be a presentation change in the bone is actually a change in the type of bone. The central part of the carapace is a solid mass of bumpy textured dense bone, where it transitions to the lighter color, the bone structure looks more like a woven basket under the microscope. Pretty cool.

• I found this Informative 1

Well, a thing happened during yesterday's prep session... The slab broke under its own weight. :duh2: 

Thankfully, I was able to recover all the pieces and it will go back together well. I guess the silver lining is that I have 2 smaller pieces to work on now.........

Right! The turtle thought you were doing such a great job so it thought it would make it easier for you!

4 hours ago, Randyw said:

Right! The turtle thought you were doing such a great job so it thought it would make it easier for you!

Or it got bored & decided to spice things up a bit (and give Kris a heart attack in the process) *unintentional side effect I'm sure*.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 hours ago, Randyw said:

It is definitely not that kind. It's already causing enough trouble with the sticky matrix!

16 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Or it got bored & decided to spice things up a bit (and give Kris a heart attack in the process) *unintentional side effect I'm sure*.

The old ticker definitely skipped a beat and there might have been a few choice words uttered as well.

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Well, a thing happened during yesterday's prep session... The slab broke under its own weight. :duh2: 

Thankfully, I was able to recover all the pieces and it will go back together well. I guess the silver lining is that I have 2 smaller pieces to work on now.........

:o

Glad you were able to recover all the pieces. Hopefully your toes were out of the way!

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

:o

Glad you were able to recover all the pieces. Hopefully your toes were out of the way!

Thankfully, it was in the blast cabinet when it broke. 

• I found this Informative 2

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The slab broke under its own weight.

Holy Cow!  I can see that being a heart attack moment!!! 

4 hours ago, rocket said:

boa, going on! :Smiling:

I need some 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Holy Cow!  I can see that being a heart attack moment!!! 

Yep, after 26 years of prepping, that rock in the stomach feeling is still there. The only good thing is that I have gotten to the point where I expect fossils to break randomly at a time of their own choosing and I know how to respond to that.

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

always great to have something to prep whats great, extraordinary, not common. Like the turtle... When you get an unprepared one some day and do not need it..., let me know :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, rocket said:

always great to have something to prep whats great, extraordinary, not common. Like the turtle... When you get an unprepared one some day and do not need it..., let me know :rolleyes:

I'll keep you in mind in the event that I stumble across something. :thumbsu: My prior response apparently didn't include all the text I had typed. I don't understand what "boa, going on!" means. It's quite possible that there's a pop culture reference here that I'm woefully ignorant to. :P

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I don't understand what "boa, going on!" means.

not easy to translate

hmm

something like: wow....., going great

a bit like "applause :default_clap2:"

15 minutes ago, rocket said:

not easy to translate

hmm

something like: wow....., going great

a bit like "applause :default_clap2:"

Thank you very much for the compliment and the explanation!