Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

8 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

Aeger elegans. Jurassic inf. Tithonian. Solnhofen

IMG_20220604_134755228.thumb.jpg.4acdef4f25f53de54795b2e6acca1245.jpgIMG_20220604_134938376.thumb.jpg.6da5b07731b62fd6937dbf0a21364f28.jpg

This shrimp looks eerily similar to one we have in Fernbank Museum from Solnhofen.

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

This specimen is a Didymictis jaw section with the first lower molar (tooth is 18mm high from crown apex to end of root).  Didymictis was an early carnivoran (Order Carnivora) but it lived at a time before there were cats, dogs, bears, and hyenas.  It would have looked like a weasel or mongoose and would've been no bigger than a fox.

Didymictis sp.
Early Eocene
Willwood Formation
Big Horn County, Wyoming

didym1.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here's a lower anterior of Carcharocles angustidens from the Early Oligocene River Bend Formation, New Bern, Craven County, north Carolina.  It measures 71mm high.

cangust5.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

An Echinorhinus (bramble shark) tooth from the Early-Middle Miocene Olcese Sand, Crab Canyon, Kern County, California (16mm wide).

olcese_bram.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here are three specimens of the extinct sand dollar species, Dendraster gibbsi (Pliocene, Etchigoin Formation, Kings County, California).  The two on the right represent the average size range of the species (25-40mm in widest diameter) but you can find smaller ones (less than 10mm).  The specimen on the left is the largest one I've ever found.  It measures 60mm.

Dendraster gibbsi is quite common at some sites.

dendrast.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

A bird humerus from the Late Pleistocene of Manacor, Mallorca, Spain.  It's just over 2 1/8 inches long.

bird_hum_esp.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

It arrived a month and a half ago, and it is the only fossil I have from the Precambrian..............

IMG_20220707_212719432.jpg.86377bcafed36d19dc10b8023eb163fb.jpg

IMG_20220707_190405714.thumb.jpg.da89971767aa26de62257a50cb34a830.jpg

IMG_20220707_212719432.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Olenellus clarki

Latham Shale, Lower Cambrian

Providence Mountains, California

post-6808-0-79444100-1361662716.thumb.jpg.68147a6901774bb163c3ea5dae0b1023.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Context is critical.

Hoikaspis matacences
San Lucas Ocuri Formation, Mid Ordovician
Chuquisaca Provence, Bolivia

post-6808-0-73127000-1323947794.thumb.jpg.c5f38982be34be74ed6365c73ad3f6b0.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

Ostracod, Marshall Sandstone Fm (Mississippian) , Michigan, USA. Scale in mm.

20200204_205530.thumb.jpg.edb2fc0ddbf69a6989a92fed5ed6f0f4.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

A Pennsylvanian-aged crinoid, Clathrocrinus clathratus from the LaSalle Limestone, Bond Formation of Pontiac, Illinois, USA. Crown measures 3.5 cm. I really like the bizzare zig-zagging arms unique to this genus.

7E3161E4-157E-4720-BC7B-F63BD26084D8.thumb.jpeg.467570e0ae7e617ed241af669f3eb4d4.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 8

Here's a piece of a xenacanth (aka "eel shark" or "pronghorn shark) head spine (measures about 15mm long).  You can see the double row of barbs that run along it.  Teeth have been on the market for decades but you don't see the head spines.  They are fragile and barbs tend to chip off as well.  I'm not sure I've seen a complete specimen.  However, if you meet someone who collects the Permian of Oklahoma or Texas, they might have an extra.

Xenacanth sharks appeared during the Devonian and even survived the end-Permian mass extinction but the group died out at the end of the Triassic.

xenacanth shark'

Early Permian

site in Clay County, Texas

xena_spine.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 5

dang it, I always check in after someone has already posted Cretaceous stuff!!   And I don't have any Paleocene!  Well I'm still thoroughly enjoying all of y'alls fossils. This is a great thread. 

• I Agree 1

Yeah, it's funny.  I was about to post a Jurassic specimen last week, but while I was writing a little about it, someone else posted one.  I saw the flag that someone had posted before I hit "Submit Reply" and cancelled the reply.

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

dang it, I always check in after someone has already posted Cretaceous stuff!!   And I don't have any Paleocene!  Well I'm still thoroughly enjoying all of y'alls fossils. This is a great thread. 

Across the time I've collected fossils, I've been able to get some Paleocene fossils through trades and purchases.  There's not a lot of Paleocene in California (sea urchins, shark teeth/shells, and some mammals in southern California).  I've just a few nautiloids from the Paleocene of Texas.

For the Paleocene, I submit this sea urchin of the genus, Periaster from the Mid-Late Paleocene Locatelli Formation in the Scotts Valley area, Santa Cruz Mountains, California.  The genus is known from the Middle Cretaceous (Cenomanian) of France but there don't seem to be any later Cretaceous occurrences.  This one is about 40mm across.  I'm still in the process of prepping it.

periast1a.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Here's a cluster of Nummulites specimens from the Middle Eocene of Grandru, France (north of Paris).  Nummulites is a genus of single-celled foraminiferan (foram for short).  It secreted a disk-like shell (similar to a Skittle in shape) that houses tiny chambers in a flat spiral.  You can see the interior of one of the naturally-eroded specimens in the photo.  The specimens range in size from about 3 to over 10mm in diameter - unusually large for something secreted by a microscopic single cell.   

nummul.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

6 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

dang it, I always check in after someone has already posted Cretaceous stuff!!

No problem, I am running out of Cretaceous stuff soon ;).

Franz Bernhard