Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Interesting.  I haven't seen a Lagomeryx tooth before.  I have a couple of waterworn mammal teeth from a Miocene site in Texas but the condition isn't as nice as yours.

• Thank You 1

Here's an old photo of a Pliocene fish jaw, Rhabdofario lacustris, an extinct trout, from the Pliocene Glenns Ferry Formation, Owyhee County, Idaho.  It's 63mm long. The jaw might belong to another genus (maybe Salmo) and perhaps another species.  It's from a site better known for jaw sections of other fishes, Acrocheilus and Mylocheilus, two genera represented in the area by the chiselmouth and peamouth - both related to carp and minnows.  

rhabdo.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Here's a "spiny murex" shell (I wasn't given the genus) from the famous Early Pleistocene locality known as the Leisey Shell Pit, near Ruskin, Hillsborough County, Florida.  It's about 70mm long.

spin_murex.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

I’ll show my pair of Ediacaran age Eoandromeda octobrachiata, from Doushantuo China. The little guy in the middle is an algal hold fast, same age and locality.C925CB8E-CAC1-4F03-86A1-F92767FA3530.thumb.jpeg.69b983b31e72cc02f7bbac456df50109.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

I guess our Cambrian-heavy members need more time.  Personally, I don't have much Cambrian stuff and don't have any other photos of what I do have yet.

• Thank You 1

I don't have much either, but just to keep the ball rolling: Bolaspidella housensis from House Range, Utah. Middle Cambrian.

T85a.jpg.1eecd5dee05cb2ae82d6a9ebf19bbb26.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Rolling forward, here is the gastropod, Cyclonema bilex, from the Late Ordovician Liberty Formation, Brookville, Indiana.  It's 16mm from the bottom of the aperture to the apex and about that size straight across as you see it in the photo.

cyclonema.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

For the Silurian, here's a small block of extremely small, hair-like crinoids from the Rochester Shale of Middleport New York, USA. There are three crowns, one with a (proportionately) long stem, plus a fourth unprepped crown. It's difficult to get a ruler right next to the crinoids because of how small they are, but the length of the red arrow is about 1cm. 

121552CB-244A-48B7-BC45-6AD1307D6B0B.thumb.jpeg.86a63e57af5383f5ca1b46ca9f0d0fcf.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 4

Tasmanitids (algal cysts) from the Middle Devonian Widder Formation  (The blurry scale is in mm)

5d1c21dcb4a3c_Greenopswidderensislarvae3.thumb.jpg.8eaab265789f072ec0125c360b3b9610.jpg.83055a86179e73346e2637cfe55a3237.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Fusulinids

Triticites sp.

Deer Creek Formation, Pennsylvanian

Holt County, Missouri

post-6808-0-96856000-1356678073.jpg.974628beee57ec7508b7d7bb4c3bf13c.thumb.jpg.3df605b560d4da25f75c26affbeca3d5.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Context is critical.

And now something I don't see many of...a Permian lungfish tooth.  This one has been identified as Sagenodus, a genus known from the Early Carboniferous to the Permian of Europe and North America.  This one was collected at an Early Permian site in Clay County, Texas and it measures 38mm across.

sagenodus.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

"Klein aber fein", as we say in Germany: Small but nice. A Cymaceras (Trochiskioceras) bidentosum with a ø of 1cm. This is the microconch to Cymbiceras guembeli. Found in the Late Jurassic Kimmeridgian hypselocylum zone, guembeli subzone in the Upper Danube Valley near Beuron.

A392a.jpg.dd875b22f57f38fdb611f7aa72f04549.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Polished transverse section, apical view, of Vaccinites sp. from the Upper Rudist Zone of the Northern Kainach Gosau. These have all done by hand grinding and hand polishing.

Vaccinites_sp_AN4604_klein_kompr.thumb.jpg.d2d9bb9091d708df9c0826a38544df0b.jpg:
Sorry, @JamieLynn, but only two more left ;) (at the moment ;)).

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 6

6 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

arrgghhh!! Missed it again! hahahhah! 

Yeah, you have to be quick on the draw to get a Jurassic or Cretaceous fossil in on this thread.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

arrgghhh!! Missed it again! hahahhah! 

Don’t feel bad, I can only contribute when it comes FULL CIRCLE to the Ediacaran again:heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 2

Paleocene is the worst. :)

You have an Eocene fossil to share. Cretaceous fossil appears, and then you wait forever for Paleocene......... and then BOOM, Eocene is snatched.

Context is critical.

I have Paleocene stuff, especially shark and ray stuff, but some of it is tiny and it takes time to get photographs of the other stuff.

Anyway, here's a crocodile tooth from the Late Paleocene Aquia Formation, Liverpool Point, Charles County, Maryland.  It's about 12mm long or about 7/8 of an inch.

If someone doesn't add a photo in the next couple of hours, I have a few Eocene photos I can post.

aquia_croc2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Well, I waited almost a full day for someone else to post an Eocene fossil.  Rolling forward, here's a Jaekelotodus trigonalis tooth from the Middle Eocene (Lutetian) of Bracklesham Bay, Sussex, UK.  It's 33mm long.  Jaekelotodus is an extinct genus once considered among the sand tigers but it's now placed in its own family, Jaeleotodontidae.  I have seen some unusually large specimens from the Middle-Late Eocene of Kazakhstan including the fantastic partial dentition in Dr. Gordon Hubbell's collection which appears to belong to an exceptionally large and long-lived individual.

jaekel_brac.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

For the Oligocene, I offer this association piece with the extinct fish, Dapalis macrurus, and a leaf that might be a willow.  The piece is Early Oligocene (Stampian) of Cereste, France.  The matrix is roughly 120x190mm (4 1/4 x 7 1/2 inches) and the fish is about 80mm long.

In the 90's, I saw a nice selection of Dapalis specimens at one of the Tucson shows.  I saw a couple with two on a piece of matrix but this was the only one with a fish and a different organism with it.

dapalis.jpg

• Enjoyed 5