Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Silurian, threat becomes funny, good moment for a funny worm, Lecthaylus gregaris, Racine Formation, Lockport Shale Member, Calumet Sag Canal, Blue Island, Illinois, lenght of the biggest one is around 6 cm

DSC_6724.thumb.jpg.bac176906a3deaff70fe0cea14dd2024.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

Morocconites malladoides. Eifelian Devonian.
Jebel Oufatane - Morocco

IMG_20220904_110324971.thumb.jpg.f101ca57130d2ed9473c0872178c3c27.jpg0.

• Enjoyed 6

chaetetid sponge mound
Chaetetes milleporaceus
Blackjack Creek Limestone, Moscovian/Desmoinesian Stage, Pennsylvanian/Carboniferous
Warrensburg, Missouri, USA

388-chaetetid-mound.thumb.jpg.2ce09ed1ae25f667945b2c9112843a90.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Context is critical.

Calamites sp. bark with a couple of Pecopteris sp. leaves from the Permian Guadalupian at Sobernheim, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany.

Pl_20.1.thumb.jpg.1a0158599f107231d0a75c173a7edb20.jpg

Ooops! I made a booboo :blush: I thought I was in the Triassic. Now I got things mixed up.:duh2:

Edited by Ludwigia
  • Enjoyed 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hyperlioceras rudidiscites from the discites zone, Early Bajocian, Middle Jurassic in the Wutach Valley area in southwestern Germany....also out of place...duhhhh

A359a.1.thumb.jpg.cab00e11ef0c44a3e10334fcfca95fca.jpg

Edited by Ludwigia
  • Enjoyed 4

So I'll post something Triassic now. A Rhacophyllites sp. from the Norian on the Feuerkogel in Austria. Then we should go on to the Cretaceous, right?

A87.thumb.jpg.a16cb8e45e661a3271a93992a359867f.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

57 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Then we should go on to the Cretaceous, right?

Lower Cretaceous, please ;).

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

I don't have a photo of a Lower Cretaceous fossil to post but here is a Cretodus tooth from the Cenomanian (earliest stage of the Late Cretaceous) of Taouz, Morocco.  It's 13/16 inches high (just over 20 mm).  Shark teeth are very rare finds in the Kem Kem beds better known for Carcharodontosaurus, Spinosaurus, Onchopristis, and lungfish teeth.

cretodus_mor.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 3

Ok, no lower Cretaceous, so I will post another upper Cretaceous, but younger. This specimen is already posted in-situ here:

Another day with mushrooms and fossils in the Kainach Gosau, Styria, Austria - Fossil Hunting Trips - The Fossil Forum

(see last pic of first post).

This pic isn´t much better, but its a good sized, 11 cm wide, upper valve of a Plagioptychus in an oriented matrix specimen. To the left, there is still a little bit of the sandy bed below the fossiliferous conglomerate bed. It could be, that there is a small remnant of a Vaccinites associated with the Plagioptychus valve. Since it seems to be an apical part of a Vaccinites, it could be that this Vaccinites had grown on the Plagioptychus shell. But that´s just some cloud No. 9 thinking :D.

HS_Reinprechtskogel_119_5252_16102022_1_kompr.thumb.jpg.fbeaeadb2bf3e0713fa9efbb96a87bbe.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 3

Ok, since nobody else will or can right now, then I'll show you a Hoplites dentatus with a wormy passenger from the Early Cretaceous Albian in Courcelles, France.

A907a.1.thumb.jpg.0820ee85351c0ead2030b603a79d60dd.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

4 minutes ago, Kasia said:

Plesioteuthis prisca cuttlefish with preserved string, Solnhofen, Jurassic

obraz.png.8203383a753423919d3b0a48c1b2c48e.png

obraz.png.351c186112173143491e8e684e927d8d.png

very cool, Solnhofen-Limestone contains really the best cuttlefish-fossils I know (except of some lebanese and some older ones). You know this site? Tintenfische (Teuthoidea) - Die Fossilien von Solnhofen (solnhofen-fossilienatlas.de)

so, lower cretaceous. Nice ?Brachyphyllum, preserved in a nodule (rarer than in the limestones) from Brazil, split-part, lenght around 10 cm

DSC_6590.thumb.jpg.1ce0628b26e6f0bfa8b208e3c6632b28.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

LOL!!!

We are obviously stuck in a Mesozoic time loop. Here is the next upper Cretaceous. Collected four weeks ago at my previous (2017-2019) main area in the Kainach Gosau (St. Bartholomä-Formation). Transverse section of hippuritid rudist, adapical view, with position of myocardinal elements still visible. It has also some nice forams in the infill, but not quite well visible in the pic.

AN_HippuritesHeritschi_17_Text_kompr.thumb.jpg.d4676d7d2b129f13c56257bd720f1b2f.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 5

Next one should be Paleocene.

To keep some order, I am starting a small contest. It will last 10 rounds from now, the winner will get some specimens from the Kainach Gosau, polished and unpolished (ugh!!)

One point for each entry in correct order. Two or more successive entries by one and the same person are only counted once. I will think about subtracting points instead, but not yet ;). (That would be a good way to avoid getting some of those ugly Kainach fossils, though! :D)

That´s all about the rules at the moment. Still have fun with strange, beautiful and rare specimens. The ugly and weathered ones (my specimens) are out for now :heartylaugh:.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 3

Ough, so I will have the thread under second-by-second-observation before posting new fossils :ninja: :heartylaugh:

Edited by rocket
  • I Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Paleorunner said:

I think I have a great indigestion, from eating so much Cretaceous...  :default_rofl:

makes your voice softer, when I remember the fairytail of little red riding hood....:eyeroll:

• Enjoyed 2

@FranzBernhard Nice of you to start a small contest and offer a prize, but even though I'll continue posting things here (and hopefully in the correct order:verified:), I would ask you to refrain from counting me in, since I'm desperately trying to reduce my collection now rather than adding to it.

• Enjoyed 1

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I would ask you to refrain from counting me in, since I'm desperately trying to reduce my collection now rather than adding to it.

No problem, if you win, you can always generously handling the prize over to the second winner :). I count on you ;)!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

, since I'm desperately trying to reduce my collection 

So this year, there will probably also be a lot of yours in the Christmas auction...  :whistle:

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I count on you ;)!

'Nuff said :)

Athleta (Volutospina) elevata from the Paleocene Olching Formation in the Kroisbachgraben, Salzburgerland, Austria.

G147a.thumb.JPG.cd2d1ad18065525593b8bebcb47c4090.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

From the Eocene this small Rimella fissurella. Damery - France.

IMG_20220911_122656973.thumb.jpg.1cce9361339c497d87f06408a990e5f7.jpg

Edited by Paleorunner
  • Enjoyed 3