Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

6 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I didn't comment on this when I was first posted but this is one of the most unusual vertebrates I've seen in this thread.  Kopidodon belongs to an extinct order, Pantolesta, of mammals that appeared in the Early Paleocene and survived into the Oligocene.  It was a diverse group with some apparently living like otters, others more like rodents, while Kopidodon was more like a raccoon.  Unfortunately, the group died out without leaving any descendants but it lasted longer than most other Paleocene groups.  Most pantolestans are known mostly by just teeth and jaw sections, but the Messel site has provided complete skeletons like this one.  Wow, great specimen.

Yeah, this is an absolutely rarity..., Kopiodon was very rare and not many skeltons have been found in the 70th up to today. I know 4, 2 in Museums and two in private collection. Messel pit was one of the best site to dig fossils on the world. I was there private many many years ago and digged for a museum 6 seasons there. In this 6 seasons we never found one, "only perhaps 100 bats, parts of mammals and birds. And, some fishes :eyeroll:... Our Kopi come from an old excavation in the 80th

• I found this Informative 2

22 hours ago, rocket said:

Yeah, this is an absolutely rarity..., Kopiodon was very rare and not many skeltons have been found in the 70th up to today. I know 4, 2 in Museums and two in private collection. Messel pit was one of the best site to dig fossils on the world. I was there private many many years ago and digged for a museum 6 seasons there. In this 6 seasons we never found one, "only perhaps 100 bats, parts of mammals and birds. And, some fishes :eyeroll:... Our Kopi come from an old excavation in the 80th

Yes, when I said it was known from skeletons, I should have said "just a few."  Because the Messel site allows a high level of preservation and preparation techniques are so refined, scientists know that Kopidodon had a bushy tail. 

One of my friends had a beautiful gar from Messel. 

Edited by siteseer
typo
  • Enjoyed 1

5 minutes ago, siteseer said:

One of my friends had a beautiful gar from Messel. 

I will post one when we reach again the eocene next time, or overnext or..., sometimes it goes tooooo fast for me :coffee:

Here's my only fossil from the Miocene and one of my favorites of all time. It's a mostly complete tooth from a three-toed horse that's been identified as Cormohipparion goorisi. Wish I could say confidently what formation it's from, but the nearest Miocene exposure was tens of miles upriver!

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.5526a130c642e386ed619047522bea57.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

4 hours ago, deutscheben said:

What an incredible piece! I don't know that I have ever seen a branch full of them like this. 

Thanks. My heart almost skipped a beat when those popped out

Context is critical.

13 hours ago, siteseer said:

Interesting.  I've seen a lot of blastoids but not one that well-presarved.

This is a very nice one for sure, though I have definitely seen some even better and truly exquisite specimens.

7 minutes ago, Kasia said:

Yay, I get to post an Ediacaran fossil again :)

Dickinsonia costata, Zimnii Gory, Russia

obraz.png.41faf14f1f1fbef88d912ac239983cae.png

Again, another gorgeous Ediacaran fossil! Where on earth do you get all these? I’m still dreaming of your Andiva from a few rounds ago:envy:

30 minutes ago, PR0GRAM said:

Again, another gorgeous Ediacaran fossil! Where on earth do you get all these? I’m still dreaming of your Andiva from a few rounds ago:envy:

Well - Ediacaran is my absolute favourite term, and I really wish that one day I could look (and hopefully find) something myself. But for the time being, they all come from the famous auction site we all know :) .

• I Agree 1

Elrathia kingi

Middle Cambrian

Wheeler Shale

Delta, Millard County, Utah

1 1/8 inches (29mm) long

This one has nice contrast.  The matrix is a little lighter than it came out in the photo.

elrathia2.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The trace fossil Phycodes reniforme from the Late Ordovician Verulam Formation at Gamebridge, Ontario, Canada.

Sp7a.thumb.jpg.7dafe9c3439514c29c1b10416150ea17.jpg

Amazing - do you know which kind of animal left it?

2 hours ago, Kasia said:

Amazing - do you know which kind of animal left it?

All we know is burrows and/or feeding traces of an indeterminate (worm-like?) animal.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Devonian shark tooth from the Genundewa Limestone. Though partial, it’s cool because it’s the only Protacrodus type tooth I found. 

355AFB3B-CD86-493F-978E-566A01257E3C.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

I refer to the fossils I have from the Maple Mill Formation of Iowa as D/C boundary. I am really not sure if it’s late Devonian or early Carboniferous or on the boundary but the fauna is really similar to a publication I read from the D/C boundary of Australia. 

So from the D/C boundary, teeth from Phoebodus. A very interesting shark ancestor. Similar body and teeth to modern Frilled Sharks. 

8A39FA2E-33D4-479C-9C35-A55C0E2329A5.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Hi Kurt,

Anytime anyone has talked about Maple Mill fossils with me, they referred to the formation as Late Devonian.  A friend sent me a sample of teeth from there as well and the label says "Upper Devonian."

Jess 

Here's a Mississippian-age association piece with a Symmorium reniforme tooth on the left and a Deltodus tooth on the right.  I've seen specimens from this site also said to come from the Big Clifty Formation.

Late Mississippian

Haney Formation

Indian Springs Shale Member

Crawford County, Indiana

matrix piece measures 2 7/8 inches (77mm) across

bifclifty2.jpg

Edited by siteseer
additional note
  • Enjoyed 5

Lophophyllidium sp. - horn coral

Late Pennsylvanian

295 million years old

Stanton Formation

Stoner Limestone Member

Louisville, Nebraska

3/4 inch (19mm) long

lopho1a.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

22 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

Anytime anyone has talked about Maple Mill fossils with me, they referred to the formation as Late Devonian.  A friend sent me a sample of teeth from there as well and the label says "Upper Devonian."

Jess 

Hi Jess

It was a couple of TFF members that thought Carboniferous. There was a post where Maple Mill came up. It made sense to split the difference. Interesting fauna for sure. 

3 hours ago, Kasia said:

Traumatocrinus hsui crinoid, Triassic, China

obraz.png.9024545bc568163bcd7c9c274c67d27a.png

obraz.png.b82bd3d65cea7b00df1ddb8ce359ace3.png

Oh ! I have received this week a crinoid like this, I imagine it will be from the same seller, from the same auction platform. :heartylaugh: