Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

This is a piece of Araucarioxylon wood with the pocket rot fungus Polysporites wardii from the Upper Triassic Bull Canyon formation of San Miguel County, New Mexico. 

PXL_20220919_210243493.jpg

PXL_20220919_210249888.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here's a Ptychodus polygyrus, an extinct shell-crusher shark, tooth from the Late Cretaceous Niobrara Chalk of Gove County, Kansas.  It's 1 5/8 inches (just under 37mm) across the crown and about 7/8 of an inch (22mm) high.  It's the largest essentially complete Ptychodus tooth I have missing just a piece out of the basal part of the root.

At least I think it's P. polygyrus.  @LSCHNELLE

polygyrus_apic.jpg

polygurus_prof.jpg

Edited by siteseer
correction
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 10

17 hours ago, siteseer said:

Here's a Ptychodus polygyrus, an extinct shell-crusher shark, tooth from the Late Cretaceous Niobrara Chalk of Gove County, Kansas.  It's 1 5/8 inches (just under 37mm) across the crown and about 7/8 of an inch (22mm) high.  It's the largest essentially complete Ptychodus tooth I have missing just a piece out of the basal part of the root.

polygyrus_apic.jpg

polygurus_prof.jpg

great one, yes, polygyrus, reminds sometime to p. latissimus

you know Ptychodus polygyrus - Fossil ID - The Fossil Forum?

On 9/19/2022 at 7:01 PM, siteseer said:

polygyrus_apic.jpg

polygurus_prof.jpg

Beautiful specimen. I would say this is a large-sized Ptychodus latissimus. It has the correct number of ridges (six to eight). It has a granular texture on the margins (defining characteristic) and the margins are wider than P. polygyrus which has minimal margins. The valleys are fairly wide between the ridges are rounded out like you see with P. latissimus. Normally, the ridge tops are fairly sharp, but this tooth has feeding wear which hides that feature. The age of the lower Niobrara Chalk is correct for Late Turonian to Coniacian in age. According to Shawn Hamm, the only confirmed specimens of P. polygyrus in the United States are in Alabama. 

• I found this Informative 6
  • I Agree 1

a rare percoid fish, Pristigenys from Rupelton / Oligocene of Frauenweiler/Wiesloch in Southern Germany

Length around 8 cm, transfer-preparation

FRZ_1775_DxO.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

A Pliocene gastropod, Prunum  oviformis. 4.1 cents. charlotte co. Florida - USA

IMG_20220921_212254765.thumb.jpg.0a267a5b0db666560a858ac45c6446f8.jpgIMG_20220921_212322448.thumb.jpg.c53061e53f312e21dc816e6ea1c6f738.jpg

Edited by Paleorunner
  • Enjoyed 7

Here's a juvenile kangaroo jaw from the Pleistocene of Australia.  You can tell it's a juvenile because you can see the unerupted premolar showing through the hole in the jaw on the right side.

Protemnodon anak (extinct genus of kangaroo)

Pleistocene

King Creek, Clifton, Queensland, Australia

jaw is 4 3/16 inches (10.5cm) long from the broken edge of the incisor to the back of the jaw)

kanga.jpg

kanga1b.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

Came back here to check on this thread again. Wow, glad to see just how into it y'all have gotten! May prompt me to go back through my collection to take a series of better photos and use this place as an excuse to post those photos when relevant slots roll around! Keep up the good work, guys!

:crab:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 9/20/2022 at 7:44 PM, LSCHNELLE said:

Beautiful specimen. I would say this is a large-sized Ptychodus latissimus. It has the correct number of ridges (six to eight). It has a granular texture on the margins (defining characteristic) and the margins are wider than P. polygyrus which has minimal margins. The valleys are fairly wide between the ridges are rounded out like you see with P. latissimus. Normally, the ridge tops are fairly sharp, but this tooth has feeding wear which hides that feature. The age of the lower Niobrara Chalk is correct for Late Turonian to Coniacian in age. According to Shawn Hamm, the only confirmed specimens of P. polygyrus in the United States are in Alabama. 

Interesting.  Thanks.  I thought it was too high-crowned for latissimus but I've seen similar specimens also identified as that.  At some point I might start a Ptychodus thread to show a sample of what I have.  I don't have every species but I've been able to gather a variety over the years back to when many collectors didn't want them because they thought they were ray teeth.  I noticed it really wasn't until the mid-late 90's that interest in the genus really took off.

• Enjoyed 1

A Stromatolite piece from the Carawine Dolomite, Gregory Range, Western Australia. It's late Archean, at about 2.63 billion years old. 

PXL_20220923_205808969.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

For the Devonian, a pyritized Strophedonta demissa brachiopod with encrusting Aulopora microbuccinata coral, from the Silica Shale of Paulding, Ohio, USA.

B37730A9-0306-40CE-94B4-25D017B0BFA3.thumb.jpeg.cf04b0f64c7f60c7ea80b540b1c6ed7d.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 4