Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

32 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Canid? molar

Pleistocene (Kansas River alluvium)

Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA

post-6808-0-48269800-1392925874.thumb.jpg.855da9464fa8d375e93881cdb8b70c2a.jpg

post-6808-0-76316800-1392926116.thumb.jpg.25f0c63aea738d73212fa082deeb4319.jpg

post-6808-0-61941100-1392926127.thumb.jpg.a31d3d41859f433d2a263b631b03fd26.jpg

Nice preservation on the tooth.  That a maxilla piece with upper premolar 4.  It's about the size of a coyote - probably too small for a canid like a grey wolf.

@Kiros @fossillarry @Harry Pristis

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

I’ll get the ball rolling again.

How about a little postage stamp sized Kimberella Quadrata from the Verkhovka Formation.6B73FE8E-7952-40E6-87C3-81B0FC4942C4.thumb.jpeg.1071611fec25beb5729e110b51ad446f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

We continue with the early Cambrian. Now a Cancelloriids. from Yunnan-China.

For information I found this:

Cancelorids are an extinct group of spiny animals from the Cambrian of uncertain phylogenetic position. Despite their sponge-like body plan, their spines are unlike modern sponge spicules, but share several features with the sclerites of certain Cambrian bilaterians, notably the halkieriids. However, a proposed homology of these 'coelosclerites' implies complex transitions in body plan evolution. A new species of chancellor, Allonnia nuda, from the Lower Cambrian (Stage 3) Chengjiang Lagerstätte is distinguished by its large size and sparse spines, with modified apical sclerites surrounding an opening in the body cavity. The arrangement of sclerites in A. nud and some other chancellorids indicates that growth involved the addition of sclerites in a subapical region, thus maintaining distinct zones of body sclerites and apical sclerites. This pattern is not seen in halkierids, but it does occur in some modern calcareous sponges. With scleritome assembly consistent with sponge affinity, and in the absence of cnidarian-grade or bilateral features, it is possible to interpret cancillorids as sponges with an unusually robust outer epithelium, a tight developmental control of body axis formation. , distinctive spicule-like structures. and, by implication, tiny ostia too small to resolve into fossils. In this light, the cancillorids may contribute to the emerging picture of a great disparity between early sponges.

IMG_20220717_104928197.thumb.jpg.58df8f8ee0e7573d015d142e20b6fd31.jpg

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 3

For the Silurian, an unidentified partial crinoid calyx from the Upper Wenlock Layer of Wren's Nest, Dudley, UK.

F1ABC708-4A67-4CA5-8414-9871163A4312.thumb.jpeg.88921967a0c1dfab09cef22cc0921ccb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6
  • Thank You 1

For the Devonian, two crinoid calyxes of Megistocrinus concavus from the Thunder Bay-Squaw Bay Formation of Michigan, USA. The dorsal calyx plates on these crinoids have large bulbous swellings/nodes which give them a very striking appearance, and also supposedly make them difficult and time-consuming to prep. The second specimen unfortunately has a few of its nodes chipped off, but also still has a small section of stem attached which doesn't seem very common.

3F9ABAEC-FCAB-4D7D-9DCF-ABB25B4A47F3.thumb.jpeg.47d70360e59b7b0e292d4689b61f2051.jpeg5E4E9B20-27F3-4D28-A05F-A301D88364BA.thumb.jpeg.9164c18e0653a5d9da4121c63388e118.jpeg
32D038D1-B4D1-40C8-ACF0-5615EC620B64.thumb.jpeg.518612309e3d4c2028d7ea6162aaa756.jpeg7749760B-B932-47D4-A76C-8658F7BC4D68.thumb.jpeg.c673ecbe18665d1b2543a14e99f94e02.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 10

(Moved to after the early-Carboniferous / Mississippian post. I was early by mere minutes :))

Context is critical.

Here's a cladodont shark tooth from the Early Carboniferous Burlington Limestone of Iowa.  It measures just over a half-inch (14mm) high.  The term "cladodont" refers to the general form of the tooth being similar to that of the genus, Cladodus, complete teeth of which have one main triangular cusp with at least one cusplet on either side of it.  This specimen appears to bear at least one cusplet and more might remain in the matrix.  The one has more color than I've usually seen from the Burlington.  Most of the teeth I've seen are more of a dark gray to black color.

Cladodont shark tooth

Early Carboniferous (Mississippian)

Burlington Limestone

Augusta, Des Moines County, Iowa

clado_iowa.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Oniscomorph millipede, a.k.a. non-spinose pill millipede
Archiscudderia? sp.
Verdigris Formation, Moscovian/Desmoinesian Stage, Pennsylvanian
Knob Noster, Missouri, USA

post-6808-0-63234200-1362245009.thumb.jpg.1857084e31e19cbfa9e69be99efd92f1.jpg

post-6808-0-14307800-1362245013.thumb.jpg.894bb5361d6a5b98db90bc63f2fd6962.jpg

post-6808-0-27046200-1362128859.thumb.jpg.682ab67ff3f42447cf218e44d09872fb.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Context is critical.

I see Missourian posted a fossil at almost the exact moment I did.  It was all clear when I started writing mine up.  Since Missourian posted a Late Carboniferous fossil, I'll switch from the Mississippian to the Permian.  The specimen is just over 1 7/8 inches (49mm) wide.  There was a time in the late 80's/early 90's when a couple of dealers had a lot of these for sale and some were larger.  I think the Bolivian government had been allowing low level fossil exports to keep tourists happy but it cracked down sometime in the 90's because you didn't see Bolivian stuff much after that.

Neospirifer condor

Early Permian

site in Capinota Province, Bolivia

neo_condor.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 8

Here's a top view of an unidentified toe bone of a tetrapod (not sure if it's from a reptile or amphibian) from the Late Triassic of Arizona.  It's about 5/8 of an inch 17mm) long.  One year in the 1990's at one of the Tucson shows, a petrified wood dealer had it for sale.  I guess no one else noticed it the first couple of days.  I thought it was a cool piece.

Late Triassic

Chinle Formation

Apache County, Arizona

tetrapod_toe.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Here's a piece of a dorsal fin spine of Asteracanthus ornatissimus, a hybodont shark, from the Late Jurassic of Switzerland.  It's just under 3 1/4 inches (82mm) long and an unusual specimen not generally seen for sale because collectors don't find a lot of them.  I got it in a trade from a friend who knew I would like it.

Asteracanthus ornatissimus

Late Jurassic (Malm)

Canton Solothurne, Switzerland

astera_sw.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Upper Cretaceous allowed ;)?

Here is a leaf from the Kainach Gosau. It bends quite regularly parallel to its main axis by about 90°. Additionally, its kinked near the tip by about 50° in another direction. Leaf is photographed probably upside down (It was found in a loose block).

HS_Geistthal_111_Credneria_21082022_kompr.thumb.jpg.15bcbf29b16b4f2f1394c662ddb5577b.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 6

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

Here's a cladodont shark tooth from the Early Carboniferous Burlington Limestone of Iowa.  It measures just over a half-inch (14mm) high.  The term "cladodont" refers to the general form of the tooth being similar to that of the genus, Cladodus, complete teeth of which have one main triangular cusp with at least one cusplet on either side of it.  This specimen appears to bear at least one cusplet and more might remain in the matrix.  The one has more color than I've usually seen from the Burlington.  Most of the teeth I've seen are more of a dark gray to black color.

Cladodont shark tooth

Early Carboniferous (Mississippian)

Burlington Limestone

Augusta, Des Moines County, Iowa

clado_iowa.jpg

The photo seems to have failed to load, sounds like it's an interesting specimen based on your description.

8 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

The photo seems to have failed to load, sounds like it's an interesting specimen based on your description.

It's showing now.  The weird thing is when I saw you posted the Pennsylvanian millipede, great specimen by the way (must be rare), I deleted the cladodont photo and text and replaced it with the Permian brachiopod in the same post.  I don't know how the cladodont content got restored and the Neospirifer retained unless there was a moderator who happened to be watching in that minute and was able to copy it before I deleted the photo and text.  Or is it just the magic of the Forum?

Looks like were on to the palaeocene again :) 

Well how about this, A large Otodus obliquus from the moroccan phosphates at ouled abdoun

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

This a fossil hammerhead shark tooth from early in its evolution and yet it looks rather modern already.  Hammerhead sharks are generally discussed as appearing in the Miocene but some Oligocene (and even some Late Eocene) teeth are at least very similar in form.

Sphyrna sp.

Late Oligocene

Chandler Bridge Formation

Summerville, South Carolina

1/2 inch (12mm) along the slant

cb_hammer1.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 7

This is a scapholunar bone (a wrist bone) of Allodesmus, a genus belonging to an extinct group of pinnipeds separate from seals, sea lions and walruses.  Provided are distal and proximal views.  In other mammals the scapholunar is two separate bones, the scaphoid and lunate.

Allodesmus sp.

Middle Miocene

Round Mountain Silt

Sharktooth Hill Bonebed

Bakersfield, Kern County, California

2 3/4 inches (70mm) long

scapho2.jpg

scapho1.jpg

Edited by siteseer
added size
  • Enjoyed 5

Lovenia sp. (sea urchin)

Pliocene

Whalers Bluff Formation

Portland, Victoria, Australia

13/16 of an inch (21mm) long

lovenia.jpg

Edited by siteseer
added size
  • Enjoyed 8

11 hours ago, siteseer said:

It's showing now.  The weird thing is when I saw you posted the Pennsylvanian millipede, great specimen by the way (must be rare), I deleted the cladodont photo and text and replaced it with the Permian brachiopod in the same post.  I don't know how the cladodont content got restored and the Neospirifer retained unless there was a moderator who happened to be watching in that minute and was able to copy it before I deleted the photo and text.  Or is it just the magic of the Forum?

Your Mississippian cladodont image is still broken. Maybe it was still in cache when you were last seeing it.

Also, having added to the confusion, I had scrubbed my Penn. post and repositioned it after your Miss. cladodont post.

Context is critical.

3 hours ago, Missourian said:

Your Mississippian cladodont image is still broken. Maybe it was still in cache when you were last seeing it.

Also, having added to the confusion, I had scrubbed my Penn. post and repositioned it after your Miss. cladodont post.

I still see the cladodont photo and text and I see it when I'm signed in or not.

Maybe because the photo is stored on your computer. Because I don’t see it either.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg