Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

21 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Strophomena planoconvexa

Strophomenid Brachiopods

Upper Ordovician

Liberty Formation

Richmond Group

Route 101 - Southgate Hill

St. Leon, IN.

collected in June 2019

IMG_3970.JPG

I love these Stophomenids Jeff! Some of my favorite brachs to collect at St. Leon.

Isn’t Southgate Hill on Indiana State Road 1 (you have it listed as route 101) or are my notes wrong? :headscratch:

Edited by FossilNerd

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

That's a very good point, I completely missed that and just copied what the label said. I had a look and the Duck Creek Dolomite is about 1.8-2 billion years old, which would make it Palaeoproterozoic. I will also add this to the label as well. Thank you. :)

Yep... specifically Orosirian in the current scheme as shown in Oxy's post above  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

39 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Yep... specifically Orosirian in the current scheme as shown in Oxy's post above  ;)

Thank you. :)

Sphenodiscus lenticularis

Late Cretaceous Period (Late Maastrichtian)

Chiwapa Sandstone, Ripley Formation

Mississippi

B04F8F11-3498-4C06-82C9-15114BE9B32B.thumb.jpeg.35bc7ad14245a325cea92cae89332267.jpeg

CA21A848-25D8-4A41-A66F-8F7ED38B043B.thumb.jpeg.ffb0a1b522379ef39ee0784a1b39d1ce.jpeg

E27D115C-743C-4FCC-BA2A-F774A30ECA38.thumb.jpeg.9dac1d2a5776ec12e846774a0f45e9b2.jpeg

D9C9DE8E-20ED-4C51-A586-26D4A34DF475.thumb.jpeg.6b05cbf7980d8099b008be4d299c7a55.jpeg

Edited by historianmichael
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 10

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Notorynchus sp.

Early Oligocene

River Bend Formation

New Bern, Craven County, North Carolina

symphyseal tooth of a sevengill shark

(3/8 inches, or 1cm, across)

notor_newbern.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Here's an association piece.  There are two shark teeth, an upper and lower Carcharhinus leucas (bull shark) with a rhino toe bone from the Late Miocene Bone Valley Formation collected in a phosphate mine in Polk County, Florida).  The first photos shows the upper tooth.  You can see fine serrations on the cusp of the lower tooth in the second photo.  I also think the bone was on the seafloor and had eroded with some sediment filling in where the bone had worn away.  The teeth happened to settle on it apparently at different times just before they were buried together.  The teeth were a little more covered by matrix when I received it as a gift  a generous gift.  I cleaned the teeth a little more but not so far as to risk dislodging them.  The bone would have been impossible to identify if the visible condyle had not been preserved.  The upper tooth is about 7/8 inches/22mm wide.  The specimen is higher than the ruler so the tooth only appears to be at least an inch wide in the photo.

bv_rhino1a.jpg

bv_rhino1b.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 8

I'm not certain on these identifications, but for the Pliocene, a Buccinum undatum whelk on the right, from the Red Crag formation (which is Late Pliocene to Early Pleistocene, so hopefully that counts as Pliocene for this :)).

On the left is a modern Buccinum whelk. Both are from Ramsholt in Suffolk. 

Even though the one to the left is not a fossil, I think it's interesting to see.

PXL_20220826_230016760.jpg

PXL_20220826_225845089.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

This is an armour plate from Armadillo Holmesina septentrionalis, from the Pleistocene of Gilcrest County, Florida. 

PXL_20220826_231217764.jpg

PXL_20220826_231228091.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

I know it's a bit late, but since we've skipped the early Cretaceous, here's a Cleoniceras besairei, from the Cretaceous Albian.
Boeny-Madagascar.IMG_20220819_115519139.thumb.jpg.a8e711fbaf7ec2e3c8f72fc5db61125a.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

It is not a good specimen, but it will serve to cover the Cambrian.
An early Cambrian arthropod: Leanchoila illecebrosa. Yunnan-China.

IMG_20220717_105408653.jpg.ddead8b230dcb6918f5bbd110a4425e9.jpg

IMG_20220717_105408653.thumb.jpg.c7e78dd4a8307b9eadcb8dabf5932726.jpg

Edited by Paleorunner
  • Enjoyed 5

3 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

It is not a good specimen, but it will serve to cover the Cambrian.
An early Cambrian arthropod: Leanchoila illecebrosa. Yunnan-China.

IMG_20220717_105408653.jpg.ddead8b230dcb6918f5bbd110a4425e9.jpg

Do you have a bigger picture? It's very small on my monitor.

• New Members

Found this at beverly beach OR, by smashing open concretions. from the miocene.WIN_20220826_09_47_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.bc540991cc9078b09dcd87206a68acca.jpgWIN_20220826_09_48_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.dd1c547bb15dd6da4aafbd7cf8c1851d.jpg

6 minutes ago, fossil_fan12345 said:

Found this at beverly beach OR, by smashing open concretions. from the miocene.

I'm afraid you don't appear to understand how this thread works. The next in line after the Cambrian epoch would be the Ordovician and not the Miocene. By the way, what is that thing you're showing us anyway?

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members
1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm afraid you don't appear to understand how this thread works. The next in line after the Cambrian epoch would be the Ordovician and not the Miocene. By the way, what is that thing you're showing us anyway?

oops im new so i got confused

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Do you have a bigger picture? It's very small on my monitor.

I have added the original photo to the post.
I don't know why, but sometimes when I publish the photos they look rotated, and the only way I can get them right is by reducing the file size. 

12 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

I don't know why, but sometimes when I publish the photos they look rotated, and the only way I can get them right is by reducing the file size. 

Thanks. I can't help you there, I don't use a cellphone to do this.

• Enjoyed 1

15 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

I have this issue too and fix it the same way by editing the picture. Do you have an iPhone? It’s my understanding that the forum software doesn’t work well with the iPhone. 

There are also a few features that I can’t see or access when using my phone (following sub-forums comes to mind).

So for quick day to day viewing I use the phone, but for uploading a lot of pictures, making more detailed posts, and doing certain tasks,  I switch to my laptop or computer.

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 8/28/2022 at 6:52 AM, Ludwigia said:

I think we're going to confuse newer contributors to this thread whenever we decide to go back and fill in for a past time unit even when several time units have gone by.  It goes against the whole point of the thread.  If only one contribution is made for the Carboniferous or the Cretaceous or a period/epoch gets skipped, we should just let it go and save our addition for the next go-around.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

I think we're going to confuse newer contributors to this thread whenever we decide to go back and fill in for a past time unit even when several time units have gone by.  It goes against the whole point of the thread.  If only one contribution is made for the Carboniferous or the Cretaceous or a period/epoch gets skipped, we should just let it go and save our addition for the next go-around.

Yes ! In these cases you are absolutely right. :Smiling:
Better to let it go, so as not to confuse those who enter the thread.. :rolleyes: