Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Paleoniscoid mandible

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro, MO/KS, USA

post-6808-0-97739400-1357801188.thumb.jpg.9c09f3a3557d3fce82be989381e82858.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 10

Context is critical.

A lot of interesting stuff, y'all.  This is one of the most enjoyable topics just because of the variety which runs the gamut.

I remember that starfish/bryozoan story.

I've been seeing that South African Butterstone stuff online and contemplating getting a piece.  Yes it can be surprising what all comes out of the woodwork once invited. Archean, even!

I'm kind of stuck now, having little from the Permian or Triassic...

:popcorn:

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 2

8 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

A lot of interesting stuff, y'all.  This is one of the most enjoyable topics just because of the variety which runs the gamut.

I remember that starfish/bryozoan story.

I've been seeing that South African Butterstone stuff online and contemplating getting a piece.  Yes it can be surprising what all comes out of the woodwork once invited. Archean, even!

I'm kind of stuck now, having little from the Permian or Triassic...

:popcorn:

The Bryozoan is quite impressive, it does  look convincingly like starfish.

I really like the Butterstone, someone got it for me as a gift, it's definitely an interesting piece, especially being so old.

I should have enough to cover the Permian. :)

These are fissure fills from Captorhinus aguti, from the Lower Permian of Richards Spur, Oklahoma. These fissure fills were preserved in fissures of Ordovician limestone. 

One of my favourite sites is Triassic, but I will leave that for now. :)

PXL_20220816_235301481.MP.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 7

Redfieldius gracilis fish bits 

Jurassic

Newark Supergroup, Shuttle Meadow Formation

Connecticut, U.S.A.

Not the most complete example, but I like the detail of the scales on the lower piece. I believe the upper specimen has visible bone in it, but it’s hard to make out in the picture. The shiny black preservation tends to reflect light making it hard to get a good photo.

7A8C01A0-B398-4F9F-AE58-5CAEE1478605.thumb.jpeg.5f4428b0908f7cc44ec7feeb4c23cee4.jpeg

Edited by FossilNerd
  • Enjoyed 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

These are fissure fills from Captorhinus aguti, from the Lower Permian of Richards Spur, Oklahoma. These fissure fills were preserved in fissures of Ordovician limestone. 

One of my favourite sites is Triassic, but I will leave that for now. :)

PXL_20220816_235301481.MP.jpg

Oops. I just realized I read the word Triassic in this post and my brain went straight to Jurassic. Even though a Permian was posted. So… if anyone wants to make up for my mistake and post something for the Triassic I would be most grateful. :) 

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

4 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

I really like the Butterstone, someone got it for me as a gift, it's definitely an interesting piece, especially being so old.

Your piece of butterstone is interesting, it looks a little different than the ones I see for sale, which aren't pictured very well however. I'll have to look into that.

5 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Oops. I just realized I read the word Triassic in this post and my brain went straight to Jurassic. Even though a Permian was posted. So… if anyone wants to make up for my mistake and post something for the Triassic I would be most grateful.

Ok. Here's a vertebra from Mastodonsaurus sp. from the Middle Triassic Ladinian at the Zwingelhausen quarry in southern Germany.

Am_3a.thumb.jpg.43762c75d8b0f762539c1a724f1bd78c.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Ok. Here's a vertebra from Mastodonsaurus sp. from the Middle Triassic Ladinian at the Zwingelhausen quarry in southern Germany.

Am_3a.thumb.jpg.43762c75d8b0f762539c1a724f1bd78c.jpg

Are you sure this is a Mastodonsaurus sp. rather than Nothosaurus sp.? As far as I'm aware, Mastodonsaurus sp. vertebrae are a lot wider and less deep than this one appears to be, with a somewhat "heart shaped" cross-section. If you look closely at the below specimen from the Muschelkalkmuseum in Ingelfingen (source), you should already be able to make this out.

1818226736_MastodonsaurusgiganteusMuschelkalkmuseum.thumb.jpg.e6c788b3c4a218c1948d2a827511165a.jpg

The two below specimens from my collection, I believe, further illustrate the point.

1865115622_MastodonsaurusvertebraUmmenhofenBeiern01.thumb.jpg.3c3c9e42e62ff0676a9bf963f954b88f.jpg940674318_MastodonsaurusvertebraUmmenhofenBeiern02.jpg.15b26e4985f91551fe9b3e7729463fd5.jpg

In contrast, I find Nothosaurus-vertebrae are both deeper and rounder.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

34 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Are you sure this is a Mastodonsaurus sp. rather than Nothosaurus sp.?

No, I'm not at all certain, since I just accepted the identification given to me by my trading partner. Thanks for your input. Do you happen to know if Notosaurus occurs at Zwingelhausen?

Can not resist posting another Oncolite-Oncoide. Site discovered just two weeks ago by a friend and further explored by me later on, which turned up some rather large, loose oncoides up to 25x20x15 cm, that look rather boring (round rocks). However, this is a nicely weathered section through an oncolite with one of those large oncoides. Length of red object is ca. 12 cm, so the block is about 90 cm wide and the largest oncoide a little over 20 cm.

East of Kreuzwirt, Geistthal, Styria, Austria.

Geistthal-Formation, Gosau-Group of Kainach (Upper Santonian - Lower Campanian).

Specimen not in my collection, of course ;).

Punkt116_09082022_Block_Uebersicht_kompr.thumb.jpg.6fb3a4ba6e59073c0d01123d1a564f03.jpg

Punkt116_09082022_Block_Detail_kompr.thumb.jpg.466cf34b59717a3a8cb7bcc4b701f5be.jpg

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 7

Since Franz has just posted one from the Late Cretaceous, I figured I'd just slip in one from the Early Cretaceous Hauterivian at Resse in Lower Saxony. A block with Aegocrioceras raricostatum on the left and A. capricornu on the right.

A703a.1.thumb.jpg.13e14cc22d1d5c23110460d770572df6.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

No, I'm not at all certain, since I just accepted the identification given to me by my trading partner. Thanks for your input. Do you happen to know if Notosaurus occurs at Zwingelhausen?

Definitely. I've got quite a collection of Nothosaurus sp. remains from that location ;)

• I found this Informative 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Your piece of butterstone is interesting, it looks a little different than the ones I see for sale, which aren't pictured very well however. I'll have to look into that.

That's interesting, I haven't looked at others online. This is what the other side looks like. 

PXL_20220817_104205340.jpg

• Thank You 1

How about this from the Eocene, it looks very similiar to the uk auriculatus teeth

0044F819-74D6-4C04-814A-2052C2503A54.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

2 hours ago, will stevenson said:

How about this from the Eocene, it looks very similiar to the uk auriculatus teeth

0044F819-74D6-4C04-814A-2052C2503A54.jpeg

Great tooth, Will.  Something is weird with that label.  The Nanjemoy Formation is Early Eocene age and it's part of the Pamunkey Group.  Otodus obliquus teeth are rare but you can also find weakly-serrated specimens.  I've never seen one as well-serrated as that specimen from the formation but then your specimen is from the upper part of the Nanjemoy from which something like that could be expected.  My most recent reference has the Woodstock as the upper member of the Nanjemoy.  Maybe @MarcoSr or one of the other Nanjemoy collectors can comment.

Jess

This is a tooth from Negaprion brevirostris, from the Miocene Yorktown formation. It's from Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, North Carolina 

PXL_20220817_183129156.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Myliobatis sp.

Middle Miocene

Round Mountain Silt

Sharktooth Hill Bonebed

Bakersfield, Kern County, California

tooth plate with four teeth.

28 x 29mm

This is a tooth plate of an eagle ray relative possibly the ancestor to the modern California bat ray.  The teeth are interlocked like a mortise and tenon connection in woodworking to form a crushing surface in the upper and lower jaws.  The largest teeth (medials) form the middle row of the plate and there are smaller hexagonal teeth (laterals) on either side.  They feed on shelled mollusks, crabs and other animals of the seafloor.

Usually, a collector finds just an isolated tooth.  After the animal dies the tooth plate falls apart quickly unless the body is quickly buried.  It can fall apart after it's a fossil as the sediment erodes around it as well.  I collected the STH Bonebed rather regularly from 1993 to 2007 and I have never found a plate this complete.  The best I've done so far is a piece with two connected teeth.  You can find tooth plates from there and other sites worldwide (Myliobatis dates back to the Paleocene) with as many as eight medial teeth and a few lateral teeth.  A tooth plate with laterals still attached is a very rare find. 

mylio_sth5a.jpg

mylio_sth5b.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 7

That's weird.  When I first posted the Myliobatis tooth plate, it showed right after Kasia's fish.  I went back in to edit the post to provide some background.  Now, Pleuromya's post looks like it was posted before me.  Does the edit change the time shown in the post even if it was first submitted earlier?  Anyway, I would delete my post or change it but it has already been commented on.

One other note:  If that Negaprion tooth is from the Yorktown, it is Early Pliocene age.  However, the genus is also known from the Pungo River Formation which is also exposed at the Lee Creek Mine and is Middle Miocene age so it could be Miocene because the fossils are mixed together in the piles.  Some Pleistocene stuff is found in the mine as well.    

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Great tooth, Will.  Something is weird with that label.  The Nanjemoy Formation is Early Eocene age and it's part of the Pamunkey Group.  Otodus obliquus teeth are rare but you can also find weakly-serrated specimens.  I've never seen one as well-serrated as that specimen from the formation but then your specimen is from the upper part of the Nanjemoy from which something like that could be expected.  My most recent reference has the Woodstock as the upper member of the Nanjemoy.  Maybe @MarcoSr or one of the other Nanjemoy collectors can comment.

Jess

Thanks Jess, yeah i got the label from the seller and figured it couldnt be early eocene, i have one of the weakly serrated ones, Otodus askuatis i believe (its a bit more serrated than the ones you get in the london clay cant remember the name at the moment)

19 minutes ago, siteseer said:

That's weird.  When I first posted the Myliobatis tooth plate, it showed right after Kasia's fish.  I went back in to edit the post to provide some background.  Now, Pleuromya's post looks like it was posted before me.  Does the edit change the time shown in the post even if it was first submitted earlier?  Anyway, I would delete my post or change it but it has already been commented on.

One other note:  If that Negaprion tooth is from the Yorktown, it is Early Pliocene age.  However, the genus is also known from the Pungo River Formation which is also exposed at the Lee Creek Mine and is Middle Miocene age so it could be Miocene because the fossils are mixed together in the piles.  Some Pleistocene stuff is found in the mine as well.    

There's no need to delete it, it's a very interesting addition. :)

Technically not a fossil, so hopefully this still counts. :)

Acheulean tool, from Reculver in Kent approximately 450,000 years old. 

In the UK, Acheulean tools are more likely made by Homo heidelbergensis than H. erectus, I think it's really interesting to hold something made by a different human species. 

PXL_20220817_201927588.jpg

PXL_20220817_211058072.jpg

PXL_20220817_211124867.MP.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 4