Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Dendraster ashleyi

Pliocene

Fernando Formation

Lompoc, Santa Barbara County, CA

extinct sand dollar - the one on top is 1 15/16 inches/49mm at its widest

dend_ash_sb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 10

Pilbaria perplexa stromatolite from the Duck Creek Dolomite of Western Australia. Archean, about 2 billion years old. The label also says Parabundii, but I haven't been able to find out what that is. 

PXL_20220823_155328611.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Cambrian Trilobites from Utah

Asaphiscus wheeleri 

While they may not be super great specimens, it was the best I found after splitting shale for two hours!! So they are special to me...

zu Trilobites Asaphiscus wheeleri Utah.JPG

• Enjoyed 9

1 hour ago, Pleuromya said:

Pilbaria perplexa stromatolite from the Duck Creek Dolomite of Western Australia. Archean, about 2 billion years old.

The label also says Parabundii, but I haven't been able to find out what that is. 

Apparently 'Parabundii' is a misspelling or an illegible label that should be Paraburdoo: for the mining town in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.

33 minutes ago, Pleuromya said:

Petraster sp. from the Ordovician, Kataoua formation, Mecissi, Morocco. 

PXL_20220824_220006599.jpg

Unfortunately, these starfish from Morocco have not been formally described yet. Many commercial dealers have unwittingly attached this dubious name.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 minute ago, piranha said:

Apparently 'Parabundii' is a misspelling or an illegible label that should be Paraburdoo: for the mining town in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.

Unfortunately, these starfish from Morocco have not been formally described yet. Many commercial dealers have unwittingly attached this dubious name.

Thank you, that definitely makes more sense, I'll add this to the label. :)

Ah that's a shame about the starfish, I didn't research it before purchasing it, which I should have done. Although it's still a nice piece. Thank you, I'll also change the label for that as well. :)

2 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

Pilbaria perplexa stromatolite from the Duck Creek Dolomite of Western Australia. Archean, about 2 billion years old. The label also says Parabundii, but I haven't been able to find out what that is. 

"Parabindii" might be a misunderstanding of Paraburdoo which is a mining town in Western Australia near where the stromatolites are found.

• Enjoyed 1

Just now, siteseer said:

"Parabindii" might be a misunderstanding of Paraburdoo which is a mining town in Western Australia near where the stromatolites are found.

Thank you. :)

1 hour ago, JamieLynn said:

Cambrian Trilobites from Utah

Asaphiscus wheeleri 

While they may not be super great specimens, it was the best I found after splitting shale for two hours!! So they are special to me...

zu Trilobites Asaphiscus wheeleri Utah.JPG

Yeah, I went trilobite collecting for the first time over twenty years ago in Nevada and found one decent positive and negative of a trilobite and some like yours.  They're Early Cambrian which is about as old a fossil you can find in this general region of North America - certainly the oldest fossils I've ever had a chance to collect.  I was very happy because I found them myself.

• Enjoyed 1

6 minutes ago, Pleuromya said:

Thank you. :)

I just noticed Scott already said that.  I would delete it but then it would look weird that you are thanking a blank post.  Oh well.

Just now, siteseer said:

I just noticed Scott already said that.  I would delete it but then it would look weird that you are thanking a blank post.  Oh well.

Yup, but thank you anyway. I'm not sure how to delete my own post. 

53 minutes ago, Pleuromya said:

Yup, but thank you anyway. I'm not sure how to delete my own post. 

Don't worry about it.  It's not a big deal.  This page will slip from sight like the others anyway.

• Enjoyed 1

Strophomena planoconvexa

Strophomenid Brachiopods

Upper Ordovician

Liberty Formation

Richmond Group

Route 101 - Southgate Hill

St. Leon, IN.

collected in June 2019

IMG_3970.JPG

• Enjoyed 11

The graptolite Retiolites (Gladiograptus) perlatus from the Middle Silurian Llandoveryian Upper Birkhill Shale at Coal Pit Bay, Donaghadee, Northern Ireland.

Gr1a.thumb.JPG.e6fb979b837d0888b8f1404c6e090b35.JPG

• Enjoyed 8

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

For the Devonian, a classic association piece: Arthroacantha carpenteri crinoid calyx with parasitic Platyceras sp. gastropod, from the Silica Shale of Sylvania, Ohio, USA. You can see the snail perched on top of the tegmen and it was thought to leech nutrients from the crinoid through the anus. A peculiarity of the Arthroacanthas in this area is that they are pyritized and so too is this one; the snail is also partially pyritized.

F9B4A220-AE43-4924-B4CD-931F7BA25490.thumb.jpeg.ce64cf00543a5e116f2d14ab8f29502d.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 10

10 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

That's a very interesting piece. :)

For sure! It's also pretty persistent throughout the fossil record so there are many such examples. I might even want to try and collect one from each geological time period.

• Enjoyed 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:21 PM, Pleuromya said:

FYI, 2b.y. would be Proterozoic, so either the date or the era is incorrect.

How many more stroms to you have??

59 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Good catch! I saw a couple of refs stating the 2 billion year old age. Here is the current Stratigraphy.org chart:

https://stratigraphy.org/ICSchart/ChronostratChart2022-02.pdf

FC220D4D-177F-4881-9632-856DFCED2433.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Good catch! I saw a couple of refs stating the 2 billion year old age. Here is the current Stratigraphy.org chart:

https://stratigraphy.org/ICSchart/ChronostratChart2022-02.pdf

FC220D4D-177F-4881-9632-856DFCED2433.jpeg

That's a very good point, I completely missed that and just copied what the label said. I had a look and the Duck Creek Dolomite is about 1.8-2 billion years old, which would make it Palaeoproterozoic. I will also add this to the label as well. Thank you. :)

I'm gradually running out now, with about 9 left. 

5 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

For sure! It's also pretty persistent throughout the fossil record so there are many such examples. I might even want to try and collect one from each geological time period.

That's a good idea to collect one from each period, I have a Silurian Platyceras haliotis that I collected several years ago. 

Edited by Pleuromya

For the Permian, a small piece of Stromatolite from the Permian Lykins formation, Boulder City, Colorado. 

PXL_20220826_093525075.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 6