Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

14 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

ive got something for palaeocene tomorrow :) 

My brother took some great photos for me yesterday so between you, Wrangellian, and me, we should be okay for a while.

Looks like we skipped the Lower Cretaceous...

Here's one:

Brewericeras hulenense,

Lower Albian

Haida Fm(?)

Haida Gwaii, B.C.

Brewericeras.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

I'll stick my Paleocene piece in now, Will can put his in next time it comes around ;)

Fern, Paleocene, Paskapoo Fm, Blackfalds, Alberta

PaskapooFern.thumb.jpg.30767a7a461e956870d2e989fdbd8546.jpg

• Enjoyed 10

On 8/12/2022 at 5:17 PM, Wrangellian said:

Maybe we should divide the Cretaceous into Lower and Upper, for the sake of this topic...?

I've got a Paleocene item to show next time it comes around, if people have trouble with that one.

Why split the Cretaceous?  I realize that it's a long period - longer than the whole Cenozoic - but Early Cretaceous fossils are generally less common than Late Cretaceous fossils in terms of commercial availability and amateur-accessible site availability.  It's true some ammonite collectors who live near sites of that age could supply the thread for some time but why burn the Cretaceous candle at both ends?  That said, I don't want to discourage you if have a lot of specimens to show us.  

Carcharodon planus

Middle Miocene

Round Mountain Silt

Sharktooth Hill Bonebed

Bakersfield, Kern County, California

This tooth is just over 2 inches long - not quite 2 1/16" - or 51mm.  It's a common find in the STH Bonebed but it's unusually large for the species, two inches being the "magic number" for it.   The color is also remarkable - sort of a burnt orange you don't always see.  I call this the "barbecued tooth" because it looks like it fell in the sauce.  This one was actually a gift after my first collecting trip to Bakersfield - a couple of years before I realized how generous a gift it was.

sthplanus_red.jpg

sthplanus_red2.jpg

Edited by siteseer
additional note
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

4 hours ago, siteseer said:

Why split the Cretaceous?  I realize that it's a long period - longer than the whole Cenozoic - but Early Cretaceous fossils are generally less common than Late Cretaceous fossils in terms of commercial availability and amateur-accessible site availability.  It's true some ammonite collectors who live near sites of that age could supply the thread for some time but why burn the Cretaceous candle at both ends?  That said, I don't want to discourage you if have a lot of specimens to show us.  

It seems like a lot of people have Lower Cret. especially from places like Texas, and maybe Europe...  People don't have a lot of stuff from the Paleocene either but we're still expecting it to be represented (and it's a shorter epoch than the Lower Cret) and so far we haven't run out... I've got at least one more Paleocene item tho' I don't really have access to Paleocene over here.

Edited by Wrangellian

20 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

It seems like a lot of people have Lower Cret. especially from places like Texas, and maybe Europe...  People don't have a lot of stuff from the Paleocene either but we're still expecting it to be represented (and it's a shorter epoch than the Lower Cret) and so far we haven't run out... I've got at least one more Paleocene item tho' I don't really have access to Paleocene over here.

Yeah, I've seen Albian-age ammonites and shark teeth from France and some Albian marine vertebrates used to come out of Russia.  I've seen Texas shark teeth but not a lot (maybe more ammonites are floating around).  I don't see much Early Cretaceous stuff that isn't Albian.

Alligator mississippiensis - osteoderm (oversized scale)

Pleistocene 

St. John's River, Volusia County, Florida

1 3/8 x 1 5/8 inches (3.5 x 4.2cm)

allig_fl.jpg

Edited by siteseer
additional note
  • Enjoyed 8

4 hours ago, siteseer said:

Yeah, I've seen Albian-age ammonites and shark teeth from France and some Albian marine vertebrates used to come out of Russia.  I've seen Texas shark teeth but not a lot (maybe more ammonites are floating around).  I don't see much Early Cretaceous stuff that isn't Albian.

At least that's something.

Why don't we say the Lower Cretaceous is optional, and if someone shows something from the LC, then someone can either show something from the Upper Cret or else go on to the Paleocene? Likewise if I show something from the Paleoproterozoic, someone else can either show something from the Meso- or Neoproterozoic/Ediacaran if they have it, or skip ahead to the Cambrian? Likewise Mississippian/Pennsylvanian or Carboniferous I guess...

39 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

At least that's something.

Why don't we say the Lower Cretaceous is optional, and if someone shows something from the LC, then someone can either show something from the Upper Cret or else go on to the Paleocene? Likewise if I show something from the Paleoproterozoic, someone else can either show something from the Meso- or Neoproterozoic/Ediacaran if they have it, or skip ahead to the Cambrian? Likewise Mississippian/Pennsylvanian or Carboniferous I guess...

Yeah, there are no real rules here.  I like the flexibility of the Carboniferous situation and still have a mix of that to photograph.  I'm trying to show representatives of different groups hoping more members will see something that gets them to contribute to the thread as well. 

I'm surprised that a few people have Pre-Cambrian stuff and have been able to show something every time the wheels stops there.  Some of that is hard to find/expensive.  I don't have a piece of that.  My oldest fossils are a few Olenellus which is good enough for me unless I found a good deal on something down the road.  I've seen some White Sea specimens at shows.

23 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

@siteseer @Wrangellian Just to let you guys know that I have enough stuff from both the Early(Lower) and Late(Upper) Cretaceous to keep us going here for a long time, so no worries there.

Well then, smoke 'em if you got 'em.  This is a fun thread.  We can pull out some fossils that might not have gotten photographed otherwise.  I've seen all my fossils before.  It's great to see other collectors' stuff.

• I Agree 1

Hopefully it's okay if I cover both the Archean and the Palaeoproterozoic. This first is Chlorellopsis butterstone from the Archean Greenstone Belt of South Africa. 

PXL_20220816_094337754.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

These are Tiger Iron Stromatolites from the Banded Iron formation, Ord Ranges, Pilbara, Australia. Palaeoproterozoic, about 1.9 billion years old. 

PXL_20220816_093554767.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

Bryozoan (not a starfish... sometimes I hate fossil mimics)

Evactinopora sp.

Salem Limestone, Mississippian

Southern Indiana (probably)

post-6808-0-63932300-1352619437.thumb.jpg.54ae9517fcc2ef80db6c21cdd4dac3d0.jpg

Actually, this is exposed on the side of a building at a local college:

post-6808-0-14569300-1352533094.thumb.jpg.240b60d89be3a710f0096f21922b9cbd.jpg

The geology professors stated it was a starfish. Only after bringing it to this forum did I find out its true identity. :)

• Enjoyed 7

Context is critical.