Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Back to the Precambrian again :)

This is the stromatolite Linella avis from the Neoproterozoic Bitter Springs formation of Alice Springs, Australia. 

PXL_20220823_160228568.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

And a Cambrian stromatolite, Conophyton basalticum from the Antrim Basalt of Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia. 

PXL_20220823_184816819.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 5

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks like Yoda jumped the gun. 

Oops, sorry :(

• Enjoyed 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

6 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

@will stevenson - for those of us not from the area, can you please add what period the Upper Chalk is? I'm assuming its Cretaceous because of your posting it in this timeline, but I can't find much info online as to whether it's upper or lower cretaceous. I found one little snippet that says it's Upper, so if that is correct, I'm going to add in a Lower Cretaceous for this thread since we discussed the idea of chopping the Cretaceous into upper and lower because there's SO MUCH CRETACEOUS! 

Lower Cretaceous Glen Rose Formation Echinoid Paracidaris texanus Size 1 3/4 inch

833829033_EchinoidParacidaristexanus.thumb.JPG.cf489c43ebf09224422e40d930363ae2.JPG

and YAY!! Finally got to add something Cretaceous which is MOST of my fossils! 

Mindat.org has it as Coniacian to Santonian age so it is firmly in the Late Cretaceous.

We were stuck in the Triassic for a while and then some progress and then a flurry of activity to cover the Cenozoic in the past four hours.  This thread is really moving.

Well, let's keep things moving then with a Flexicalymene senaria rollie from the Late Ordovician Katian Verulam Formation at Gamebridge, On., Canada.

T39a.thumb.jpg.6d56d5ccf749f8778cde457b612c8a71.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Keeping with trilobites, this is from the Silurian Wren's Nest in Dudley, UK. It contains Dalmanites myops, Leptaena depressa, a coral and a few other things. 

PXL_20220823_211700784.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 5

This is the lobe-finned fish Osteolepis macrolepidotus from the Devonian (Upper Eifelian) Sandwick Fish Beds of Quoyloo, Orkney, Scotland. 

PXL_20220823_211150409.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 5

And from the Mississippian, this blastoid ." Pentremites pyriformis." Indiana - USAIMG_20220814_142451600.thumb.jpg.d08e499833f871d1a7600f9b507523d0.jpg

Edited by Paleorunner
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

10 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

@will stevenson - for those of us not from the area, can you please add what period the Upper Chalk is? I'm assuming its Cretaceous because of your posting it in this timeline, but I can't find much info online as to whether it's upper or lower cretaceous. I found one little snippet that says it's Upper, so if that is correct, I'm going to add in a Lower Cretaceous for this thread since we discussed the idea of chopping the Cretaceous into upper and lower because there's SO MUCH CRETACEOUS! 

Lower Cretaceous Glen Rose Formation Echinoid Paracidaris texanus Size 1 3/4 inch

and YAY!! Finally got to add something Cretaceous which is MOST of my fossils!

5 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Sorry missed that! Yup I think so 

Yes, the 'Creta' in Cretaceous is Latin for chalk.  :Smiling:

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Yes, the 'Creta' in Cretaceous is Latin for chalk.  :Smiling:

I thought of that too but there is at least one Paleocene-age chalk, the Early Paleocene Clayton Formation.

For the lower Permian, this is from Edaphosaurus boanerges from Waurika, Oklahoma. It's a  fragment of spine with a broken spur. 

PXL_20220824_083820075.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well, let's keep things moving then with a Flexicalymene senaria rollie from the Late Ordovician Katian Verulam Formation at Gamebridge, On., Canada.

T39a.thumb.jpg.6d56d5ccf749f8778cde457b612c8a71.jpg

You should have said let’s keep things rolling:P

• Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, siteseer said:

I thought of that too but there is at least one Paleocene-age chalk, the Early Paleocene Clayton Formation.

There may be some post-Cretaceous chalk formations but usually when someone says "upper chalk" they're referring to the Cretaceous. I guess it's an old-world thing, I don't see it very often over here (maybe in older references).

Finally made it in time to contribute! Here's something from the Upper Cretaceous. A leaf imprint from the Texas Woodbine:

Laurophyllum precanariense

IMG_0850.thumb.JPG.e93e0983a4f00221cd259fb2c323b653.JPGIMG_0847.thumb.JPG.3ae78d05e2b5562911cd092324c9e471.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

1 hour ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

A leaf imprint from the Texas Woodbine:

Is this leaf flat or somewhat wrapped / enrolled?
Franz Bernhard

3 minutes ago, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

Good eye!

Thanks! Trained eye ;). Because I have found lots of this kind myself a few weeks ago. I have asked, what this kind of preservation could mean:

Wrapped fossil leaves - General Fossil Discussion - The Fossil Forum

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Oleneothyris harlani

Mid-Late Paleocene

Vincentown Formation

New Egypt, New Jersey

brachiopod

just over an inch/26mm long

oleneothyr.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Unidentified brittlestar

Middle Eocene 

Cozy Dell Formation

near Ojai, Ventura County, California

9/16 inches/11mm - longest dimension of outstretched arms

Uncommon brittle star found among more common specimens of the starfish, Henricia.

brittle_ca.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Perchoerus sp.
Oligocene
Brule Formation
Shannon County (?), South Dakota

jaw section just under 3 inches (77mm) long

Perchoerus is an early genus of peccary known from the Oligocene of North America. (sites in Nebraska and South Dakota as examples).  Its fossils are rare with most finds being isolated teeth and jaw sections.  I have read that it's still not known from a complete skeleton.

I don't have a locality for this specimen.  I bought it at a show in Tampa but the collector's other South Dakota finds were labelled as coming from Shannon County.

perchoer1b.jpg

perchoer1a.jpg

• Enjoyed 5