Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

2 hours ago, siteseer said:

I think we're going to confuse newer contributors to this thread whenever we decide to go back and fill in for a past time unit even when several time units have gone by.  It goes against the whole point of the thread.  If only one contribution is made for the Carboniferous or the Cretaceous or a period/epoch gets skipped, we should just let it go and save our addition for the next go-around.

But I'm sure that you would nevertheless agree that people who join this game should know how it works, otherwise the confusion would be complete.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

But I'm sure that you would nevertheless agree that people who join this game should know how it works, otherwise the confusion would be complete.

Yes, but you know how things go on the Forum, Roger.  Not everyone reads the first page, fast becoming a distant memory.  The new kids can see the flow and then they see someone add, for example, a Paleozoic fossil as we reach the Cenozoic so they conclude that "anything goes."  It's up to us to keep that flow chronological.  

Jess

• I Agree 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:53 AM, fossil_fan12345 said:

oops im new so i got confused

No worries. Next time you can just figure out which geological time period comes next and try to show off a fossil from your collection from that period, that's part of the fun of this thread. Or you can also try and wait for a specific period to come around if there's something specific you really want to show.

Mesothoracal wing of a Phylloblatta sp. cockroach along with a Neuropteris leaf from the Pennsylvanian Westfal D at Piesberg quarry in Lower Saxony Germany.

I.3a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Michelinia favosa from the Mississippian Ballysteen Limestone Formation on the Hook Peninsula, County Wexford, Ireland

That is a beauty Roger! It’s always neat to see Mississippian coral from other areas of the world. A fine example! 

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 8/26/2022 at 6:20 AM, FossilNerd said:

I love these Stophomenids Jeff! Some of my favorite brachs to collect at St. Leon.

Isn’t Southgate Hill on Indiana State Road 1 (you have it listed as route 101) or are my notes wrong? :headscratch:

Wayne,

You're right about Southgate Hill being on Route 1. Thanks. I must have gotten confused about the route numbers which seem to change at every intersection. Definitely not a hard place to find no matter what route you're on. Best wishes.

Undescribed Crinoid Dorsal Cup

Early Permian Period (Wolfcampian)

Moran Formation

Texas

IMG_2490.jpg.7cc1c44f05bb11f6712ef58d67164fe8.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg.b8bef37000db98b2d29cb67d2c3d8794.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg.3a4ed6c76d797bcb7c1891fc1c87b6ce.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg.b580cc43ca72e6dd58c19443d2bf63f4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

8 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wayne,

You're right about Southgate Hill being on Route 1. Thanks. I must have gotten confused about the route numbers which seem to change at every intersection. Definitely not a hard place to find no matter what route you're on. Best wishes.

No worries. Just wanted to make sure both of our labels were right. :) 

True. Not a hard place to find, and very well known.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here's one might @will stevenson like.  It's a Paraorthacodus (P. eocaenus?) tooth from the Late Paleocene (Thanetian) of Herne Bay, Kent, England.  It measures just over 5/16 inches/just under 9mm high. 

paraorth_uk.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

A Crassatella ponderosa bivalve with some fossilized hash on the inside including a Sigmesalia intermedia gastropod from the Eocene Lutetian in the Parisian Basin.

G187b.1.thumb.jpg.e9aadfc580f00cb7e6706e48b9b51692.jpg

L267a.1.thumb.jpg.f82c4df71257507b56f8ed6ceea8f35f.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Here's one might @will stevenson like.  It's a Paraorthacodus (P. eocaenus?) tooth from the Late Paleocene (Thanetian) of Herne Bay, Kent, England.  It measures just over 5/16 inches/just under 9mm high. 

paraorth_uk.jpg

what a lovely specimen, hard to find one with even that many cusps, it is to my knowledge Synechodus eocaenus rather than paraorthacodus, though this one really looks like a paraorthacodus, are you sure its from herne bay? this is what they usually look like

Picture

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

what a lovely specimen, hard to find one with even that many cusps, it is to my knowledge Synechodus eocaenus rather than paraorthacodus, though this one really looks like a paraorthacodus, are you sure its from herne bay? this is what they usually look like

Picture

Hi Will,

Yours is definitely a Synechodus and mine is a Paraorthacodus.  in Synechodus the cusplets are outgrowths of the crown and the main cusp is broad at the base.  In Paraorthacodus, the cusplets are separate from the crown.  I don't think I've ever seen a Synechodus from there.  Great specimen!

Yes, I received the Paraorthacodus in a trade years ago with a Herne Bay collector.

Jess

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

A Crassatella ponderosa bivalve with some fossilized hash on the inside including a Sigmesalia intermedia gastropod from the Eocene Lutetian in the Parisian Basin.

G187b.1.thumb.jpg.e9aadfc580f00cb7e6706e48b9b51692.jpg

L267a.1.thumb.jpg.f82c4df71257507b56f8ed6ceea8f35f.jpg

That's a cool association piece.

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Will,

Yours is definitely a Synechodus and mine is a Paraorthacodus.  in Synechodus the cusplets are outgrowths of the crown and the main cusp is broad at the base.  In Paraorthacodus, the cusplets are separate from the crown.  I don't think I've ever seen a Synechodus from there.  Great specimen!

Yes, I received the Paraorthacodus in a trade years ago with a Herne Bay collector.

Jess

Hi Jess it’s not mine I haven’t been lucky enough to find one ;) here is the faunal list which doesn’t include paraorthacodus which is weird which is why I was wondering

4BB2DCDA-F582-45B6-863C-BD2ABA1B212A.jpeg

Notorhynchus primigenius sympheseal from the Miocene Burdigalian at my favorite site at the Lake of Constance, Germany.

And just to let everyone here know that I'll be offline as of tomorrow for the next week or so.

P147a.thumb.jpg.3146a9d32446bd8666916458561af03d.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Here some balanus on the inside of an oyster, from the Pliocene. Guardamar Del Segura. ( Alicante ). Spain.

IMG_20220819_115026312.thumb.jpg.0a04c5254d018314b0e749a72e9327d1.jpgIMG_20220819_115046996.thumb.jpg.e1efb91ca2a32de9a6e38e37e094f85a.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Canid? molar

Pleistocene (Kansas River alluvium)

Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA

post-6808-0-48269800-1392925874.thumb.jpg.855da9464fa8d375e93881cdb8b70c2a.jpg

post-6808-0-76316800-1392926116.thumb.jpg.25f0c63aea738d73212fa082deeb4319.jpg

post-6808-0-61941100-1392926127.thumb.jpg.a31d3d41859f433d2a263b631b03fd26.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Context is critical.