New Member from San Francisco Bay Area

PRC

I am a 71 year old guy who is working on retiring overseas. I have a box of mostly marine fossils collected
in Oregon and Washington usually during field trips and summer camps with the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in the
60's when I was in high school. Also, some of the plant fossils from Camp Hancock are sort of special
as well as a few marine ones from Camp Arago. 
I have no relatives to pass these on to, and tried contacting OMSI about this with no response. 
Some of these fossils are unusual, so they should be passed onto someone who can appreciate them.

If someone can kindly give me pointers about taking closeup photos with my iPhone, then I could post them so you all 
will know what I am talking about. 

I am also looking for the little inch and centimeter scale I have seen in some closeup photos on this site.
If anyone can tell me where to get one I would appreciate it.

PRC

Greetings. 

Use lots of light when taking photos. Get as close as you can while looking at screen to see if it is in focus. Double check photo is in focus before posting. You can tap on the screen to bring up a box that focuses within the box.

I have a contact in the Berkeley area, a retired teacher and member of the Northern California Geological Society in Orinda that has recently found homes for rocks, minerals and fossils with educational groups in the east and south SF Bay area. If interested, I can PM you his info.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome from Colorado

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Welcome from Texas! :ammonite01:.                       At the top of the fossil ID forum is a post by Coco for printable cm paper if that helps.  For close ups you can use any magnifying glass held against camera lens and it works great. :)

Welcome from South Carolina!

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Hi,

For the centimeter paper, have a look on my signature :Wink1:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Welcome from Illinois.

If no one else shows interest, contact the Field Museum of Natural History (FMNH) in Chicago. They have an extensive worldwide research and are usually happy to accept any fossil specimens that are offered. A Science and Industry museum -- we have one in Chicago as well -- is not usually as interested in fossils as a Natural History museum can be. Look in your area for a natural history museum as opposed to science and industry. I'm also 71. Congratulations!

As far as scales which you can add to photos, feel free to use this one.1265559164_aScalebarnew.thumb.png.2646977e9d41cefd1d07a8697f3a5aa6.png

You can size it and add it to any photo using any of the photoshop apps on your PC. If you want to see examples of its use check out my Members' Gallery Album titled "Mark's Mazon Creek Fossils". It should be just a bit of a scroll down the first page of the albums. Or, you can create your own in "Paint", which is how I made this one.

Good Luck. We all look forward to seeing your collection.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hello from Alabama! 
I’m also a newbie. One of the most helpful tips I read from another member (sorry, can’t recall who to give credit ) regarding taking photos was to using putty to hold the specimen in place so that your hand won’t be in the photo and to help minimize the motion artifact that shows up even with the slightest hand movement when taking macro photos.  Also, rest your phone hand against something to stabilize. 
Congrats on your retirement! :yay-smiley-1: