Importing fossil from Singapore to USA

quam_fossilium

I recently purchased a rather large ammonite via auction from a seller in Singapore.  It got held up in customs and I just received a notice of detention asking for documentation to prove it is legal.  I wasn't aware that there is any law prohibiting import of fossils of extinct species from that region.  Am I mistaken, or does customs just not know what they're doing?

The people who could give you the answer to your question are customs officials. Did you try asking them?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I would read up on the subject of importation of paleontological items from other countries into the US. For example, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) have been aware of smuggling of dinosaur fossils from Mongolia, which is prohibited by Mongolian law: https://phys.org/news/2012-12-dinosaur-skull-seized-wyoming-home.html

This is an excellent article that talks about the potential pitfalls and consequences of importing foreign fossils: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/01/28/bones-of-contention-paige-williams#:~:text=A Florida man's curious trade in Mongolian dinosaurs.&text=Natural history goes to auction,Dia Center for the Arts.

Paleontological resources are typically handled similarly with cultural resources. My understanding is that the unit in CBP that enforces these handles both cultural and paleontological resources. This is a press release from CBP that explains why they look out for items that are in violation of another country's laws prohibiting exportation of such items: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/louisville-cbp-stops-transport-ancient-artifacts?language_content_entity=en

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:50 AM, quam_fossilium said:

I recently purchased a rather large ammonite via auction from a seller in Singapore.  It got held up in customs and I just received a notice of detention asking for documentation to prove it is legal.  I wasn't aware that there is any law prohibiting import of fossils of extinct species from that region.  Am I mistaken, or does customs just not know what they're doing?

Hi, are you Garey from the SG Fossils Group? My answer here would be the same as the one on FB

Did the seller write "animal" or "shell" or any related terms on the declaration form? If he declared it as a fossil, did he state the country of origin? There aren't any explicit laws prohibiting fossil exports from Singapore since we don't even have any fossils at all. Most likely, this ammonite is held by an overzealous customs officer based on the "general knowledge" of fossils being apparently illegal

I am unsure how to tackle the customs in US. In Singapore, when a similar situation happened (fossil from UK was held by SG customs), I challenged the SG officer to prove to me that the fossil was illegal, or that fossil exports from UK were illegal. When he failed to do so, he had to release the fossil to me. I am paraphrasing here but my words were along the likes of: "If this fossil is not in any way illegal, may I ask on what grounds are you withholding it from me?" I also had to state that the fossil was for collection purposes and that it was not taxable, dangerous or controlled in any way

Good luck. Let us know how it goes

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The dealer is likely from Singapore, but the country of origin is likely elsewhere. Where is the country of origin? It is incumbent on you to answer that question, not CBP. Perhaps you need to consult a lawyer rather than informal opinions from random people on the internet, even if they are from Singapore. There are bilateral agreements between the US and other countries that are codified in federal law: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Feb/Vol_53_No_2_Title_0.pdf. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that has experience with the subject before you rely on opinions that might run you afoul of US law or we provide you opinions that might be interpreted as advice as to how to skirt regulations. However, as a layman, I defer to @JohnJ or @Fossildude19 regarding the suitability of this subject on the forum.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that has experience with the subject before you rely on opinions that might run you afoul of US law or we provide you opinions that might be interpreted as advice as to how to skirt regulations.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:50 PM, quam_fossilium said:

I just received a notice of detention asking for documentation to prove it is legal.

@Crusty_Crab offers good advice.  You might consider discussing with Customs what kind of documentation is acceptable, then proceed from there.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with Crusty_Crab. I dared to take that attitude with the SG customs because I know the law well enough and it isn't the first time I had to wrangle a fossil back from them

I would be singing a very different tune if it was a Mongolian fossil or an extant animal part

When I first spoke to you on FB, I assumed you were Singaporean. Since you're in the US, it's best to take advice from someone better experienced in the matter

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The problem turned out to be that they somehow mistook it for a cultural artifact/antiquity.  It was easy to sort out, I just needed to make sure I had my info correct before responding to them.  The seller wrote "handiwork" on the label rather than identifying what it actually was, which resulted in the Customs inspection.  I have experience dealing with Customs, but not with fossils.  I've never had them pull a fossil shipment for any reason.  I'm guessing they labeled it as a a potential cultural item because I regularly import such items.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Edited by quam_fossilium
  • I found this Informative 4