Is this a juvenile T.rex tooth or a nanotyrannus

Fossil Maniac

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks for reminding me of that twist on your anterior tooth. 

It also has no serrations on the mesial edge which is much more typical of these Dromaeosaurids.  Im.  Very nice.

Any problem using your images in my Acheroraptor ID topic?

Agreed, it is quite an interesting feature those missing denticles. Need to see some more teeth to understand if this is the rule. I do have an anterior tooth of Saurornitholestes which does have mesial serrations. I was wondering if it might be a positional feature of dentary teeth, but have not found any mention of that in papers.

For sure you can use my images in your threads @Troodon. They have educated me so much, so if an image of mine can help you make a point please go ahead.

6 hours ago, Dino Dad 81 said:

@JoeS Gorgeous tooth. Does it have any fluting? If you could share shots of the sides, that'd be much appreciated.

Yes, there is one very prominent ridge:

1328211663_13_Acheroraptor_dentary(HCF)copy.thumb.jpg.b68cd5bfeb45f6924a341cd53051fb60.jpg

@JoeSThanks.  The tooth has a distinctive ridge typical to Acheroraptor but still wrestling with that twist.   I've always looked at this species as being very similar to Saurornitholestes and I've not seen any lingual twist discussed in any paper.   If I look at the jaw of Acheroraptor, the teeth are very compressed less with the exception of D1 whose alveoli measures 3.2 x 2.5 mm , a CBR of 0.78.   All other positions in the maxilla and dentary show compression.   The CBR on your tooth is 0.64 which does say its a mesial tooth.  But it does not make sense that just one tooth would have a twist.  Its there, so will accept it for now.

Acheroraptor jawScreenshot_20220702-015826_Drive.jpg.350a7ac4bcbdda562fa8dbb317ddec2a.jpg

Not sure if you've seen my other comments on other threads that Pete Larsen is convinced there is a third Dromaeosaur in the HC.   He was vague in the description of the teeth but did say it had a ridge.  Hmm maybe like your tooth..  More complete jaws are needed with all these Dromaeosaurid to really get a picture of what the teeth look like.

• I found this Informative 1

Still no word on the Currie front.

I have to ask, did Larson say why he thought this was Dakotaraptor and not Tyrannosaur?

30 minutes ago, jikohr said:

Still no word on the Currie front.

I have to ask, did Larson say why he thought this was Dakotaraptor and not Tyrannosaur?

No. Do you think I should ask him?

36 minutes ago, Fossil Maniac said:

No. Do you think I should ask him?

Yes please!

For the life of me I cant see anything about this that says Dakotaraptor or even Dromaeosaur. I hadn't even posted the serration count and close up yet when he made the call. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 1+ inch Dakotaraptor IDed by a famous paleontologist, but I just don't see it. 

Also I just want to say I really do appreciate your cooperation in all this by the way. I'm sure drama wasn't what you were looking for while browsing dinosaur fossils, but this sort of thing helps me to learn a lot if that makes sense.

42 minutes ago, jikohr said:

Yes please!

For the life of me I cant see anything about this that says Dakotaraptor or even Dromaeosaur. I hadn't even posted the serration count and close up yet when he made the call. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 1+ inch Dakotaraptor IDed by a famous paleontologist, but I just don't see it. 

Also I just want to say I really do appreciate your cooperation in all this by the way. I'm sure drama wasn't what you were looking for while browsing dinosaur fossils, but this sort of thing helps me to learn a lot if that makes sense.

Yeah I asked him why he thought it was a dakotaraptor. I honestly don't mind the drama.

• Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Troodon said:

@JoeSThanks.  The tooth has a distinctive ridge typical to Acheroraptor but still wrestling with that twist.   I've always looked at this species as being very similar to Saurornitholestes and I've not seen any lingual twist discussed in any paper.   If I look at the jaw of Acheroraptor, the teeth are very compressed less with the exception of D1 whose alveoli measures 3.2 x 2.5 mm , a CBR of 0.78.   All other positions in the maxilla and dentary show compression.   The CBR on your tooth is 0.64 which does say its a mesial tooth.  But it does not make sense that just one tooth would have a twist.  Its there, so will accept it for now.

Acheroraptor jawScreenshot_20220702-015826_Drive.jpg.350a7ac4bcbdda562fa8dbb317ddec2a.jpg

Not sure if you've seen my other comments on other threads that Pete Larsen is convinced there is a third Dromaeosaur in the HC.   He was vague in the description of the teeth but did say it had a ridge.  Hmm maybe like your tooth..  More complete jaws are needed with all these Dromaeosaurid to really get a picture of what the teeth look like.

Thanks for the post, as usual we need to see more material ;)

Yes, I have read about that possible third Dromaeosaur in the HC.
Interestingly, in the online collection data base from Walter Stein he also refers to 3 Dromaeosaurids: Acheroraptor, DR and one called 'Saurornitholestes'. 
So it seems there are small teeth out there that do not conform with what we know about Acheroraptor.
I need to find some time to look at these more thoroughly, but in general the database is nice for reference material.
https://virtualdinosaurmuseum.org/

Back to the original thread: I cannot wait for what P. Larson and P. Currie have to say about the tooth in question :popcorn:

• I Agree 1

19 hours ago, jikohr said:

Yes please!

He responded he said "Morphologically it most closely resembles Dakotaraptor. It is roughly circular in cross-section, the carina remain on the anterior and posterior of the tooth, and the tooth is “long and skinny”. All pointing to a Dromeosaur, not a Tyrannossur. The size makes it most likely Dakotaraptor."

• I found this Informative 1

“Circular?” (Vs oval/almond)

”carina remains on anterior” (vs straight)

I don’t have DePalma in front of me, but that’s not the description, right? Dr Currie and Larson must be going off of additional information they’ve gathered, no?

1 hour ago, Fossil Maniac said:

He responded he said "Morphologically it most closely resembles Dakotaraptor. It is roughly circular in cross-section, the carina remain on the anterior and posterior of the tooth, and the tooth is “long and skinny”. All pointing to a Dromeosaur, not a Tyrannossur. The size makes it most likely Dakotaraptor."

I mean, the roughly circular cross section is one of the main reasons I went with rex initially, the serrations on the distal are noticeably larger than the mesial by about 30%, and JoeS did show that Dromaeosaur teeth will occasionally have a carinae twist in certain positions of the jaw.....

Theropod indet.

aff. Dakotaraptor steini?

On 7/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, jikohr said:

I mean, the roughly circular cross section is one of the main reasons I went with rex initially, the serrations on the distal are noticeably larger than the mesial by about 30%, and JoeS did show that Dromaeosaur teeth will occasionally have a carinae twist in certain positions of the jaw.....

Theropod indet.

Ok theropod indet. it is then. The mystery of the hell creek tooth.

Edited by Fossil Maniac
Wrong spelling

On 7/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, jikohr said:

Theropod indet.

Still nothing from philliph?

Nope.

Trust me, the moment I hear from him (IF I hear from him) I'll let you all know.

20 hours ago, jikohr said:

Nope.

Trust me, the moment I hear from him (IF I hear from him) I'll let you all know.

Ok, thanks!