Custom Fossil Storage Drawers

Julia Cecchetti

Last weekend I made myself a set of custom storage drawers for the thin specimens in my collection! I've been meaning to do this for a while, since buying nice thin drawer sets like this is super expensive and storing my fossils in boxes makes it hard to appreciate them often. 

I was able to make the whole thing with a budget of around $250! I got a set of 12 industrial sized 18"x24" (46x61cm) baking sheets which are 1" (2.5cm) deep and made a frame to make them into drawers using finished maple plywood. All it took was a hand held circular saw, some nails, and wood glue. I lined the bottom of the sheets with black toolbox foam. I'm super happy with how it turned out and just couldn't wait to fill it. 

I plan on adding wooden fronts and handles to the drawers eventually to make it look nicer, but it works as it is now. 

Now I need to go find more thin fossils to fill it up haha!

PXL_20220803_152430275.jpg

PXL_20220804_034411041.jpg

PXL_20220804_041049157.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 15

2 hours ago, Julia Cecchetti said:

12 industrial sized 18"x24" (46x61cm) baking sheets

Now that is some really useful use of these things ;).

2 hours ago, Julia Cecchetti said:

adding wooden fronts

For dust protection, you may just add some kind of curtain*.

Great work and extremely useful. Thanks for sharing.

*I have this done for some storage drawers made from discarded cardboard boxes.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Great idea! Hope this inspires someone here looking for a place to store their "thin" fossil collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

This is a great idea.

Do the trays slide with no problems, or do you coat the rails with anything to help with that?

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is a great idea.

Do the trays slide with no problems, or do you coat the rails with anything to help with that?

Thanks! The trays slide really well. I made sure the rails were flat and smooth, and since the drawers are light there isn't much friction.

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

nice job! I have a bunch of those baking sheets- I have only ever used them for baking! I will now look at them slightly differently....

Thanks! I was originally going to make each drawer out of wood, then thought of maybe bending sheet metal, then I thought wow that looks just like a baking sheet :b_idea:. Sure enough they were super cheap in bulk!

• Enjoyed 3

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Now that is some really useful use of these things ;).

For dust protection, you may just add some kind of curtain*.

Great work and extremely useful. Thanks for sharing.

*I have this done for some storage drawers made from discarded cardboard boxes.

Franz Bernhard

Who needs cookies when you can have freshly baked Pennsylvanian Flora! Haha. Thanks for the curtain idea.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

What do you use to make sure the fossils stay in place? Such an awesome way to store them though, I love it!

• Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Very nice! love the creativity.

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

12 hours ago, Meganeura said:

What do you use to make sure the fossils stay in place? Such an awesome way to store them though, I love it!

I lined the bottom with thin black foam usually used for toolboxes. It is good at keeping rocks from sliding as well as tools haha.

12 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Very nice! love the creativity.

Thanks!!

• Thank You 1

Nice use of baking sheets for storage. :) 

I’ve been keeping my eye out for used large flat file cabinets but they are just so expensive. This would be a decent alternative. Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, Julia Cecchetti said:

I lined the bottom with thin black foam usually used for toolboxes. It is good at keeping rocks from sliding as well as tools haha.

I do this as well in the cheap plastic drawers and glass cabinets that I currently use for storage. Works great!

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)