Ocean dwellers?

ChrisSarahRox

39 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

found a rather large slab of what seems to be many different creatures and possibly plant life

Oooo cool! I love a multi speciman plate!

@ChrisSarahRox, one of the questions is, are there more of the kind you posted initially? If so, could you give a rough estimate? Thank you!

Nice assortment of marine fossils, btw :dinothumb:.
Franz Bernhard

59 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

@ChrisSarahRox, one of the questions is, are there more of the kind you posted initially? If so, could you give a rough estimate? Thank you!

Nice assortment of marine fossils, btw :dinothumb:.
Franz Bernhard

Thank you very much! To answer your question, yes. I have others very similar to the initial photos but they are a bit smaller and less right angles if you will. 

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

I have others very similar to the initial photos

Any chance of providing a overall shoot of the specimens? Just to see the variation. Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

9 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Any chance of providing a overall shoot of the specimens? Just to see the variation. Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Of course I can, gladly. I will put a photo shoot together and have them ready by sunrise. 

18 hours ago, ChrisSarahRox said:

Of course I can, gladly. I will put a photo shoot together and have them ready by sunrise. 

20221111_102522.jpg

20221111_102408.jpg

20221111_102739.jpg

20221111_102608.jpg

20221111_102553.jpg

20221111_102814.jpg

• Thank You 1

My apologies for the delay , here are the photos of some of the rocks found very near the initial photos. 

Thank you very much for the additional pics!

Not as fossiliferous as the first one, but some of them look quite similar.

Have you tried a scratch test and an acid test on the compact, dark grey parts?

Try to scratch the dark, "glassy" looking parts with a steel nail or a knife blade - what happens?

Put a small drop of vinegar or diluted hydrochloric acid on a dark grey part - what happens?
Franz Bernhard

On 11/10/2022 at 8:14 AM, FossilDAWG said:

I'm going to tag @PFOOLEY on this...

I've talked with Dr. Lucas about this area before, when we were discussing Lower Cretaceous rock exposures in NM. In the Puerco watershed, the rocks jump from Jurassic in age to Upper Cretaceous in age and that begged the question of "where is the Lower Cretaceous?". One area where the Lower Cretaceous is exposed is Hidalgo County. @ChrisSarahRox, based on the fossils you have shown, I would guess that your Turitella sp. hash is Lower Cretaceous (Aptian/Albian) and the brachiopods and crinoid stems are Mississippian in age. There are also Permian and Devonian outcrops in the area...quite a lot of diversity in the uplifted rocks of those mountains. 

• I found this Informative 4

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

On 11/16/2022 at 8:31 AM, PFOOLEY said:

I've talked with Dr. Lucas about this area before, when we were discussing Lower Cretaceous rock exposures in NM. In the Puerco watershed, the rocks jump from Jurassic in age to Upper Cretaceous in age and that begged the question of "where is the Lower Cretaceous?". One area where the Lower Cretaceous is exposed is Hidalgo County. @ChrisSarahRox, based on the fossils you have shown, I would guess that your Turitella sp. hash is Lower Cretaceous (Aptian/Albian) and the brachiopods and crinoid stems are Mississippian in age. There are also Permian and Devonian outcrops in the area...quite a lot of diversity in the uplifted rocks of those mountains. 

This is awesome to read and I could not be more appreciative for the time spent on photos I have shared and many questions I've asked. I hope to share many more with this forum and it would be safe to assume many more questions will follow. :yay-smiley-1:

On 11/11/2022 at 10:39 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you very much for the additional pics!

Not as fossiliferous as the first one, but some of them look quite similar.

Have you tried a scratch test and an acid test on the compact, dark grey parts?

Try to scratch the dark, "glassy" looking parts with a steel nail or a knife blade - what happens?

Put a small drop of vinegar or diluted hydrochloric acid on a dark grey part - what happens?
Franz Bernhard

My apologies for my delayed response, I will do as you have instructed and post the results tomorrow afternoon.