GallinaPinta

12 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

Great report! Maybe I'll have to slip away from the cruise ship next spring and go swimming 

That's a great idea!! 

2 hours ago, Mart1980 said:

Beautiful setting and seriously NICE fossils. Good find! Thanks for sharing :JC_doubleup:

Thank you! Glad you all enjoyed it! 

• 1 year later...

Hi, Im from Puerto Rico, when I was a kid I loved collecting invertebrate fossils, I went abroad to study paleontology, so I could improve our knowledge for the island. What I have learned studying here in Spain: They have laws in Spain where they protect fossils, it is illegal to take them, at first I thought it was an exageration, but I realized they hold great value to the Patrimonio Cultural y Natural. Fossils contain the history of our Natural Heritage, for decades, Americans and Europeans have taken our vertebrate fossils from Puerto Rico and taken them to their museums, to be hidden away, some published or exhibited. Rarely were Puerto Ricans made aware of the importance of our natural resources and natural history, and we were until only recently included in some collaborations. The same happens for the Dominican Republic and Cuba. We must raise awareness on why you should NOT take fossils from their localities, but contact the University of Puerto Rico Geology Department instead. Let us protect what is ours and keep these locations secret from foreign private collectors who just want to hide the fossils in their house for themselves, instead of allowing researchers or scientists from the island to extract the valuable knowledge they provide us, the real value of fossils. This is our Patrimonio, we must protect it and decolonize what has already been stolen. Sadly, when we take fossils aways from their locality without the proper examination or study, we loose a lot of information. Despierta Boricua, if you are interested in fossils and are a veterinarian there are multiple ways in which you can help us with anatomy and to study the fossils. Collaborate. My dream is to finish my PhD and come back to the island to raise awareness, study, create exhibits and educate our children and our gente on this beautiful resource we have. Sincerely, a future Dr. in Paleontology.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, KellyChelis said:

Hi, Im from Puerto Rico.

Hello, Kelly, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Cultural heritage is very important.

Morocco has some of the same problems with losing culturally valuable and scientifically important specimens.

Good luck with your studies.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png