Is this a fossil or what?

jamesk

Not sure what I found here a short distance away from the Rouge River in Merlin Oregon. Looks like a tooth. Feels like stone . More pics avail.

IMG_20220821_002550724.jpg

IMG_20220821_002605630.jpg

Yup. Any resemblance to a tooth is merely coincidental. Teeth show signs of shiny enamel and this item appears to be just sandstone worn and shaped into that suggestive shape.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Yeah it's definitely stone had an outer "crust" layer that scrubbed off fairly easy. Like sand stone. So I was doubtful that I had fossil . But man if it's just a random shape nature happened to make.... AMAZING! 

ALSO IT HAS NO MARKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN WORKED IN ANY WAY. 

16747622086216559383411268083067.jpg

18 minutes ago, jamesk said:

Yeah it's definitely stone had an outer "crust" layer that scrubbed off fairly easy. Like sand stone.

This would be expected if the cementing agent was calcium carbonate (limestone). This type of stone is typical of shallow water, and this general form is common in shallow water sedimentation patterns. Limestone tends to weather to this flowing sort of shape as well.

23 minutes ago, jamesk said:

But man if it's just a random shape nature happened to make.... AMAZING! 

ALSO IT HAS NO MARKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN WORKED IN ANY WAY. 

Indeed! Nature forms rock into a remarkable variety of interesting shapes--consider all of the great national parks out west like Arches N.P. that have some fantastically shaped rock formations . No need for shapes like this to be the result of humans working the stone. Native American artifacts tend to be made of harder and sharper types of rock like chert which can be knapped to leave razor sharp edges. Sandstone would be of little use as a tool as it is too soft and will not take an edge.

Goblin Valley State Park is a great example of some wondrously weird shapes all naturally produced. This park was used as a set in the filming of the classic movie Galaxy Quest to represent an alien planet since it is so other worldly. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=goblin+state+park+utah&tbm=isch

Cheers.

-Ken