Shellseeker

I'm glad that my rudimentary knowledge combined with my inborn ability to ramble on endlessly (or in this case type verbosely) have resulted in posts that are informative as that was my goal. I'll never have close to the depth and diversity of knowledge represented by our membership here on the forum--no one person should ever hope to equal the knowledge embodied here by a great group of members without equal.

I've always believed that knowledge is useless unless it is shared as widely as possible. You can see why I was never cut out for service with the National Security Agency. :P If I have any skill beyond retaining useful facts and tidbits of knowledge it is the ability to (verbosely) share this information in a way that makes it easily comprehensible. Relating paleontological concepts to families and groups of school kids during the run of the Fantastic Fossils exhibit at the FLMNH was good practice for making scientific concepts simple and relatable. Of course, I had a goodly number of props that I was able to use when explaining the process of prepping plaster jackets and consolidating the fossils within. I guess images are a good proxy for props here on the forum. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, Family Fun said:

Great tooth Jack.  Let us know what fossil you are thinking about prior to your next trip out, so we can look forward to an exciting trip report. Haha

Naturally,  I think about LOTS of different fossils because my hobby consumes 50% of my awake hours. It is a little of happenstance and Monday morning quarterbacking.

I find some GWs in Bone Valley hunting land or creeks (last time Aug 2021) and fewer in the Peace River (last time May , 2017) .. they are rare. So, we discuss GWs because I think I found a GW in the Peace River (This thread),  and then I find one my next time out 3 days later, after no GWs for 18 months...

Similarily,  I had never heard of GonioDelphis until I found one of it's teeth  in a land hunt on January 28th,  with Harry and Bobby helping in the ID.  and then find another yesterdayIMG_8687text1.thumb.jpg.a942e32643af38757958208cd61de9e4.jpg less than two weeks later.. Happenstance

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yup. Once you had the first land-based specimen properly identified the recent Peace River find was a nice match making the subsequent ID that much simpler. You can really see the difference in preservation between the land-based with lighter coloration and the more river-worn blackened specimen pulled out of a sifting screen in the Peace.

Cheers.

-Ken