About fossil transportation in China

Ginger0412

Recently, I learned that Chinese fossils are prohibited by law from being transported outside of China.I have a question. Can I buy fossils that have been transported outside China before a law banning transportation outside China is enacted?

I believe the rule is if it was exported prior to X date then it is okay. Anything newer better have papers or is illegal to own. 

From my understanding though not all fossils fall into this category (I think it is mainly targeted to vertebrate fossils)

14 minutes ago, A.C. said:

X日より前にエクスポートされた場合は問題ないと思います。新しいものは書類を持っているほうがよいか、所有するのは違法です。 

私の理解では、すべての化石がこのカテゴリに分類されるわけではありません (主に脊椎動物の化石を対象としていると思います)。

Thank you for letting me know.

I think some fossils are allowed outside of China. Mainly invertabrates and plants are allowed. Vertabrate fossils have the strictest laws on them. 

Quite a few locations have issued bans on the export of fossils over the past decade. However, there are a lot of fossils in private collections and with dealers that were legally obtained before the bans and should be okay to resell.  For example you see lots of shark teeth for sale from South America and dinosaur eggs from China.  Unfortunately, my guess is that some fossils that are still being smuggled out of those countries and I don't know how you differentiate between the two.   Keep in mind that Morocco and Niger have similar laws but it's unclear how the government is managing those laws with everything you see in the market.

some of you may find the following slightly informative( about 4,5 Mb):

Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia, 90: 53ñ87, 2007

Geoheritage and geoconservation: history, definition, scope and scale
M Brocx & V Semeniuk

geoheritage_and_geoconservation.pdf

Edited by doushantuo
  • I found this Informative 1