teenerbeener

3 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

It looks like a sectarian nodule to me.

septarian nodule :)

These dried, cracked mudballs could be called "geodized," I guess.  Sometimes the cracks are not fully filled with calcite crystals, and they are quite interesting when cut and polished.

• I Agree 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

septarian nodule :)

These dried, cracked mudballs could be called "geodized," I guess.  Sometimes the cracks are not fully filled with calcite crystals, and they are quite interesting when cut and polished.

Thank you Harry I really need to not type after I've taken off my glasses.

• Enjoyed 1

I just looked up septarian nodule...beautiful!

"Septarian nodules formed as a result of volcanic eruptions and compressed matter of Dead Sea creatures. Therefore, the bonds of Septarian nodules are formed in sediment through the “concretion” of mud masses and mixed organic material."

Which u already knew that but I didn't. Love this

1 hour ago, teenerbeener said:

I just looked up septarian nodule...beautiful! Septarian nodules formed as a result of volcanic eruptions and compressed matter of Dead Sea creatures. Therefore, the bonds of Septarian nodules are formed in sediment through the “concretion” of mud masses and mixed organic material. which u already knew that but I didn't. Love this

I don't know where you got your information, but it's not quite correct. Septarian nodules are not a result of volcanic eruptions. If you scroll down to the section on septarian nodules on this page, you'll find some helpful information about them.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Warning:  There is on line a variety of vague and confusing descriptions of septarian nodules and their formation.  I, personally, like the theory involving temporary lakes, dried and cracked mud, mineral deposits, and flood-rounding of mud chunks.  But, I recommend the lively discussion of the septarian phenomenon on MINDAT at  

Identity Help : Septarian Nodule (Septurian) (mindat.org)

• Enjoyed 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Not geode, but septarian. If septarians were geodes there would be no need for the word septarian. Two distinct forms of mineraliztion.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

10 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Not geode, but septarian. If septarians were geodes there would be no need for the word septarian. Two distinct forms of mineraliztion.

Geology is messy. You can have a geode that is also a septarian. See photo of my septarian with a large calcite filled cavity from Utah.

https://www.mindat.org/glossary/geode

37392A37-6D6C-4C50-98EB-7CECF57BBBA2.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

So, is this a "septode" or a "geotarian"?     :zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

5 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

So, is this a "septode" or a "geotarian"?     :zzzzscratchchin:

It's called "pretty". Nuff said...

• I Agree 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:48 AM, teenerbeener said:

I just looked up septarian nodule...beautiful!

"Septarian nodules formed as a result of volcanic eruptions and compressed matter of Dead Sea creatures. Therefore, the bonds of Septarian nodules are formed in sediment through the “concretion” of mud masses and mixed organic material."

Which u already knew that but I didn't. Love this

On 2/26/2023 at 2:09 AM, Ludwigia said:

I don't know where you got your information, but it's not quite correct. Septarian nodules are not a result of volcanic eruptions. If you scroll down to the section on septarian nodules on this page, you'll find some helpful information about them.

Thank u. I got my info from Google lol. I appreciate this website. I'm learning so much. 

• Enjoyed 1