How do you find out serration density?

Fossil Collect

Hello for a while now I’ve been looking for a Torvosaurus tanneri tooth. I have found out that many teeth are labeled as Torvosaurus tanneri but it doesent mean it is the correct id. One of the key components in identifying Torvosaurus teeth is serration density. I have always wondered what it mean and how to figure it out. Could someone help me? Thanks.

@Troodon

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here you go on the tooth measurements.   One then compares the density between the two carinae which is characteristic that MAY help in tooth identification

999298592_TheropodtoothPg2.thumb.jpg.a2bb64d7b18a1a28c41aa7224309724f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Identification of isolated Torvosaurus teeth is based on several characteristics attached is a topic that can help.  Unfortunately very little is published on their identification so it can be difficult on smaller teeth.  A mesial carina that does not extend to the base is not exclusive to Torvosaurus but can be be seen on Marshosaurus and Allosaurus teeth.

• Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Identification of isolated Torvosaurus teeth is based on several characteristics attached is a topic that can help.  Unfortunately very little is published on their identification so it can be difficult on smaller teeth.  A mesial carina that does not extend to the base is not exclusive to Torvosaurus but can be be seen on Marshosaurus and Allosaurus teeth.

Thanks, I guess the tooth should be cf. Torvosaurus tanneri for now.