Mazon Creek Fossil IDs

Tom16

Hello, I recently posted about my second trip to Mazon Creek in the Trip Forum. I added some pictures of my fossils to ID but I believe that was the wrong forum to ask that in. I am now posting those pictures in this forum so I can get some more help. Below are some of the fragments I found. I apologize if this is excessive posting. Thank you in advance for your time to ID.

The pictures below I believe are jellyfish

1)IMG-9683.thumb.jpg.1c3d508998ff04bb4f1e7f3fbbd0511b.jpg

2)

IMG-9680.thumb.jpg.8ebf97283ec2cebfb3d2a501fe0e712b.jpg

Below are some I believe could be Tully fossils. 

3) Looks like the fin?

IMG-9676.thumb.jpg.e686403832577fe1742b11571c0d30f9.jpg

4) Could be the body

IMG-9677.thumb.jpg.812cbe2126771773a2841ee8dc9907f6.jpg

5) Looks to me to be a beak, not sure if any other creatures found in this area would also have one? Very smooth to the touch.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.c109a75af9b145d9a59d64fb90e0e4c0.jpg

IMG-9687.thumb.jpg.478dc439c2775e4a49bb5c371bb0b826.jpg

These are fossils that I have no clue what they could be. These were already fractures when I found them so some of the fossil could be lost.

6)

IMG-9672.thumb.jpg.d2747b9c6f742b0c03ebc76a5525bd7d.jpg

7)

IMG-9673.thumb.jpg.7bf9fcffb988749eeaf6f342484ed6bc.jpg

8) Tried to clean this one best I could. Kind of resembles a leaf to me. 

IMG-9685.thumb.jpg.2eaf9ca3f861b0b838219bd8a5b17631.jpg

9) Strange grooves that go in a circular shape. Also a big divot that almost leads to a stem like opening? 

IMG-9689.thumb.jpg.4eafb89a4f46b0025f31c35f30178151.jpg

fossil1.thumb.jpg.486ac4dab37ddf15aee9d408ca3fe32e.jpg

@connorp 

Hello, you commented on my last post and recommended me to take some better images. I retook the pictures and posted here. Let me know what you think!

Hi. These photos are better, but a few are still iffy. Thank you for numbering them -- it's a good idea if you have more than 3 or4 photos. 

1. Possible bivalve. Wait for more opinions.

2. Most probably Essexella asherae - jellyfish.

3. Possible Tullymonster part. Wait for more opinions.

4.        "                "               "                "               "

5.        "                "               "                "               "

6. Needs much better lighting and clearer/sharper photo.

7.        "                "               "                "               " 

8. I don't see anything here. Wait for other opinions.

9. Resembles Neuropteris fimbriata slightly, but I think these are only suggestive concoidal fractures.

All of these specimens are poorly preserved and weathered. They were lying around exposed to the elements WAY too long before you found them and have deteriorated severely in that time. They look like Monster Lake area specimens which have a coarser grain than most other areas, especially the north end of the Monster/Ponderosa area. You need to head (much) further south and east to get the better stuff, or north across the road and about 3/4 mile NNE. If you see recent footprints, you haven't gone far enough. Most of the folks who collect that area do a semi-bellycrawl to get to the good stuff.

Third time's a charm? Go for it and good luck! It seems the people who put in the most time have the best luck. This very much describes Mazon Creek fossils. I didn't do well until my fourth or fifth trip when I first started.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I don't see any fossils here. All the three dimensional specimens look like fracture patterns or similar.

I agree with @connorp- though I think  #2 could possibly be something, but it would have to be cleaned some to see. Otherwise these are all suggestive mineral stains or geological features in the rock. 

On 3/26/2023 at 4:32 PM, connorp said:

I don't see any fossils here. All the three dimensional specimens look like fracture patterns or similar.

Thank you for the ID. Are the white colorations of the rock just natural then? That is what I thought to be the leftover jellyfish.

Also, the "beak" I believe I found is very smooth and still intact. Not sure if that type of fossil is possible here but out of all of them, I feel that is something. 

These are just the fractures I found on the ground though. I was so excited to find fossils, I picked everything up haha. I still have unopened ones I am freezing right now. We will see if they yield anything. Thanks again!

On 3/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Hi. These photos are better, but a few are still iffy. Thank you for numbering them -- it's a good idea if you have more than 3 or4 photos. 

1. Possible bivalve. Wait for more opinions.

2. Most probably Essexella asherae - jellyfish.

3. Possible Tullymonster part. Wait for more opinions.

4.        "                "               "                "               "

5.        "                "               "                "               "

6. Needs much better lighting and clearer/sharper photo.

7.        "                "               "                "               " 

8. I don't see anything here. Wait for other opinions.

9. Resembles Neuropteris fimbriata slightly, but I think these are only suggestive concoidal fractures.

All of these specimens are poorly preserved and weathered. They were lying around exposed to the elements WAY too long before you found them and have deteriorated severely in that time. They look like Monster Lake area specimens which have a coarser grain than most other areas, especially the north end of the Monster/Ponderosa area. You need to head (much) further south and east to get the better stuff, or north across the road and about 3/4 mile NNE. If you see recent footprints, you haven't gone far enough. Most of the folks who collect that area do a semi-bellycrawl to get to the good stuff.

Third time's a charm? Go for it and good luck! It seems the people who put in the most time have the best luck. This very much describes Mazon Creek fossils. I didn't do well until my fourth or fifth trip when I first started.

Thank you for trying to ID. I agree, they are fractures so it is difficult to really tell what they are, if anything. I did find some unopened pieces so I am hoping they yield something better.

You are right about my spot. I really just followed the directions on the permit telling me to part at Eagle lot and head towards Ponderosa Lake. They said that was where I could find jellyfish and I really wanted one haha. But I will take your advice and try that next time I go. Thanks again for your time!