FF Members in the Field

MikeR

This past weekend I attended the Florida Paleontological Society's spring field trip to a shell pit in Charlotte County, Florida.  These trips along with others I take, give me the opportunity to catch up with friends, many who are Fossil Forum members.  This got me thinking about a topic for pictures of FF members in the field.  From this past week @Shellseeker collecting 1.8 million year old fossil shells from the Caloosahatchee Formation in South Florida.

338957122_1365366184025212_2659862525244032597_n.thumb.jpg.6015dd21c86a51631e6a8e67ce7c5c5f.jpg

• Enjoyed 12
  • Thank You 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thanks Mike, 

I do not take too many selfies. Getting a good photo from the field is a gift...although I've got to work on that belly roll!!! It not only would improve the photo,  but would help me in walking out of the quarry and back to the vehicles.

I can return the favor and at the same time pick up some pointers from these photos..

Note in this 1st  photo that Mike has left buckets behind,  dropped his backpack, and has taken a resting position to evaluate multiple finds....Conservation of energy.

IMG_9348crop.jpg.935343c74c2af6c64e3940e326ab7d19.jpg

In the 2nd photo, I note the knee pads,  a significant enhancement when searching for seashells on rock. I will pack some next time.IMG_9350ce.thumb.jpg.5bdfe1bec89490ae4224a5c3952f6d54.jpg

IMG_9349ce.thumb.jpg.db072b9508b870ad8a78abb3f6631ee2.jpg

Neither Mike or I chose to climb this outcropping,  just to check out whatever might be on top

• Enjoyed 9

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

8 hours ago, automech said:

How deep is that pit? 20-25 feet?

The distances are very deceiving with out perspective....

Past the water in the center,  there are tiny people searching,  cars (estimate the distance to the car and then increase the estimate) a Bull_dozer... Think about how high the bucket arm is,  and compare it to the wall behind it.  This photo was taken 16 months ago, the 20-25 foot platform under the tracks of the bulldozer has been removed by heavy equipment.

There are a hard set of rules meant to save your life. One is stay off the cliffs,  another is stay away from the water (quick sand/mud) ,  another is stay away from the equipment, others relate to safety vests and hard hats. Those who have any difficulty following orders exactly do not belong. The owner of the business takes risks and liability in allowing access. As a group,  we try doing whatever we can to let the owner know how much we appreciate it. Over the last 15 years,  all the phosphate mines in Bone Valley have been closed to field trips.  I am amazed that there are still some good people who allow access.

That's my soapbox.  Sometimes a few can make all look bad...

IMG_0828BottomofShellPit.thumb.jpg.1751d5ff768e8f78618a797a5544d0f8.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Just in case you could not increased zoom

IMG_0828BottomofShellPitCrop.jpg.544750b3b59f1dc9c5e7ec9a2b96f186.jpg

Okay. Wow. I remember a couple/few years back seeing in the news about sink holes down there. Is that a concern in these quarries?

4 hours ago, automech said:

Okay. Wow. I remember a couple/few years back seeing in the news about sink holes down there. Is that a concern in these quarries?

We in Florida have lots of sinkholes.  There is a website that maps the number of  sinkholes by Florida county. Here is a website that has some information..

https://floridadep.gov/fgs/sinkholes

It is likely that these quarries would have a similar distribution of sink holes as the rest of Florida. Sink holes are not all that dangerous IF you know where they are...