Is this a tooth of M. hoffmannii., M. beaugei or Prognathodon?

BWRX7225

Hey guys, this is my first time posting. I got this fossilized tooth from Morocco the other day and what I want to know is which species it belongs to? Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Hi. The tooth is from the prognathodontine mosasaur Thalassotitan atrox from the Moroccan Phosphates. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, Praefectus said:

Hi. The tooth is from the prognathodontine mosasaur Thalassotitan atrox from the Moroccan Phosphates. 

Hi Praefectus, can i know how to identify a mosasaur Thalassotitan tooth? or in mosasaur teeth what kinds of features belong to this species?

personally, I feel most mosasaur teeth are the same:DOH:, and I wish i can get a tooth from this species too.

9 hours ago, HunterLacrosse said:

Hi Praefectus, can i know how to identify a mosasaur Thalassotitan tooth? or in mosasaur teeth what kinds of features belong to this species?

personally, I feel most mosasaur teeth are the same:DOH:, and I wish i can get a tooth from this species too.

I've found this thread to pretty helpful with that. It's a little old but I think it's been kept up to date.

• Thank You 1

thallasotitan atrox tooth

• I Agree 1

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

On 1/25/2024 at 5:35 AM, HunterLacrosse said:

Thalassotitan teeth are robust. They have thick crowns, wide bases, heavy enamel, dulled apices, defined carinae that can pinch from the crown body, serrations on carinae (when unworn), and subcircular basal cross-section. Tooth shape differs between the anterior and posterior sections of the jaw. Anterior teeth are more cylindrical and often have a posterior carina deflecting laterally while posterior teeth are fat, low, stubby, and carinated antero-posteriorly. 

• Thank You 1