Small Hell Creek Tooth

DAS_Rex

I have a tiny theropod tooth that was identified to me as a small worn Acheroraptor specimen. It has no serrations from tip to base, and a worn tip. It does greatly favor some Achero teeth that I’ve seen for sale. (If they too were correctly identified) However, the ridges along the sides and lack of serrations keep making me think it’s a small Paronychodon.  I have no bias toward either. Would just like a second opinion on the matter. It was discovered in the Hell Creek Fm. I believe the description said around Harding County, SD. 

thanks for any help 

IMG_2276.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

If I had this in my collection, I would call it Paranychodon.  

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

Yes, it is Paronychodon. But what actual species that premaxillary tooth taxon belongs to is unknown. Probably not Acheroraptor, but perhaps a troodontid?

The premaxillary teeth of Acheroraptor is likely Zapsalis-morphs based on Saurornitholestes and velociraptorines.

• I Agree 2

Posted (edited)

This post should be of interest:

Edited by Carl
  • Thank You 1

I like the curve of this specimen. It stands out against my other Paronychodon tooth, which is a larger and straighter form. It’s a nice addition and variation. Thank y’all very much for the responses.  I appreciate it.