Pnwmedic

Mostly sandstone from clallam formation WA. The fossils are flaky and the sand stone has many cracks threatening to break into pieces. I know it’s not the prettiest, but I was hoping to stabilize the matrix a bit as well as some of the more preserved shells to expose and highlight them a bit

EB6EE622-53C1-42E7-B856-03D91A0FE2FD.jpeg

584A9ACC-610A-4577-881D-FE3EC1A7ED15.jpeg

You want to use Paraloid B72 or Butvar B76 dissolved in acetone or ethanol. For this application, I would probably go with a 5% solution instead of my typical 2.5% solution for stabilization. 5% works out to 2 parts plastic dissolved in 50 parts solvent. Acetone will evaporate and dissolve the plastic) faster than ethanol. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

5% works out to 2 parts plastic dissolved in 50 parts solvent.

By volume or weight?

• I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Application to entire piece or as I go? I’m afraid the whole thing will crumble if I apply any pressure

On 4/18/2023 at 9:18 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

By volume or weight?

Either way works. I typically use weight.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, Pnwmedic said:

Application to entire piece or as I go? I’m afraid the whole thing will crumble if I apply any pressure

I would apply both methods. Consolidate as much as you need right away and add more as needed

• I found this Informative 1

40 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Either way works. I typically use weight.

I would apply both methods. Consolidate as much as you need right away and add more as needed

Great, thanks! I just read a paper on methods and usage for different concentrations, appreciate it

katherine

I use volume to volune ratio. If you have a balance/scale you could weigh out the proper ratio. For something flaky and concerning matrix, I'd go 8% to ensure proper consolidation.

You're gonna want to use a small quantity of paraloid pellets if that is the route you choose to go. For Butvar it may be a little different. I use canning jars as they seal relatively well, but after awhile you will notice evaporation of the solvent.