My buddy's big mystery dino bone ID help

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I'm helping out a new buddy of mine with this one. He acquired this bone a few years ago under the pretense of it being a "Triceratops hip or leg bone". He's currently selling it and the rest of his collection off to pay for some medical expenses, and I've been helping him try to verify the ID on some of his things since the original seller's IDs for several have been, well, I disagree with some of them. I'm just going to leave it at that. Anyway after contacting the original seller for some more info on his collection, and some remarks by several interested parties it came out that this bone might have been mixed up in it's original ID and is actually Sauropod, specifically the pubis. We're currently trying to get more info on locality, but in the meantime I thought it would help to get an independent opinion on what this is most likely from so I'm posting on his behalf.

He described it as roughly 21 inches long so about 53-54 cm. While we wait for more potential proximity info (if it even exists anymore) if there are any other measurements or spots that need better photos tell me an I'll let him know.

Any insight is appreciated as always!

1.JPG

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

1c.JPG

1d.JPG

1e.JPG

1f.JPG

1g.JPG

1h.JPG

1i.JPG

2a.JPG

2b.JPG

2c.JPG

2d.JPG

2e.JPG

2f.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Here is a photo of a Diplodocus pubis you can compare against. 

Screenshot_20230418_165941_Chrome.jpg.742eb2b0e58bcf8107504adf5c0338e3.jpg

That's pretty dead on!

Although, we definitely shouldn't call it Diplodocus without any locality info.

Do you think there's enough to call it Sauropod indet. pubis?

Pubis of other sauropods families from the Morrison are a bit different but there are so many, who knows.   You can call it cf Diplodocidus.

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Pubis of other sauropods families from the Morrison are a bit different but there are so many, who knows.   You can call it cf Diplodocidus.

Wow, neat!

Just to be clear is that cf Diplodocus or cf Diplodocidae?

Also can Morrison formation be said without further locality info for this piece or am I reading something that isn't there again?

You cannot say Morrison because you don't really know, there are other formations with sauropods.   I have no idea what these bones look like on the other Diplodocids the Morrison so my guess to be as vague as possible call it an indeterminate diplodocoid

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You cannot say Morrison because you don't really know, there are other formations with sauropods.   I have no idea what these bones look like on the other Diplodocids the Morrison so my guess to be as vague as possible call it an indeterminate diplodocoid

That's what I figured, and honestly a lot more than we were expecting! Thanks again man, my buddy is going to be THRILLED!