Going for my first fossil hunt

Theri Fan

Going for my first fossil hunt at some point this year to a small quarry. I believe it’s mainly small sea life and some shark teeth. What tools would you recommend I take? Thanks

• Enjoyed 1

It depends somewhat on the type of stone you'll be working, but by the sound of what you're looking for you probably won't need much more than a geologist's hammer, a few chisels, a pen knife and a sieve.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It depends on the geology. Some sites I hunt I need nothing more than a container to hold what has been weathered out of the rock for me to pick up.  Other sites I need a lot of tools as I will be digging up slabs and splitting rock. I do agree with the suggestions above as a great general purpose kit.

It’s not a tool, but one thing I often forget to take (and soon regret not taking) is water and maybe a snack or lunch. Nothing ruins a hunt quicker for me than being thirsty and hungry! 

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was a geology hammer, garden trowel and baby wipes.   

I’m going to a Green River quarry. What different tools will I likely need for that type of rock?  More chisels?

The quarries provide everything you should need, except food and water.

• 2 weeks later...

Best wishes, for a good outing!!!

Welcome to the hobby, of the hunt!!!