Texas fossils Conularia and Gastropod?

Desrosiers1718

These are a few from Texas, didn’t have a lot of info on them,  one I identified as Conularia,   But not sure about the Gastropod?    

IMG_6335.jpeg

IMG_6336.jpeg

IMG_6337.jpeg

IMG_6338.jpeg

I think your conularid is a bivalve, something similar to Pinna. The other looks like an ammonoid.

• I Agree 6

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Pinnidae member. Possibly Pteronites, Aviculopinna or Meekopinna? Confusing and unsettled taxonomy. Note growth lines sharply curved at about 90 degrees. Angles of ridges of conularids are much less.

See great article from Forum member Clint. Maybe he can summarize it or make further comments. @cngodles

Clint, what is the full citation for Yancey 2022 that you talk about in post below?

https://fossil.15656.com/research-pages/aviculopinna/

DB44BF56-92F3-4AB4-B985-A11E1B9E907D.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/rebuilding-the-foundation-of-late-paleozoic-pinnid-bivalve-study-family-pinnidae/8490ABEEAB8336AE73A36D551164159C

If it's from the Pennsylvanian, then we aren't sure what to call it. But I except a second paper from Tom sometime soon that should settle these.

If you want to name it today and it's from the Carboniferous, “Meekopinna“ can be considered good enough until the final work is peer reviewed and published.

This does not look like Pteronites, which is also limited to the early Carboniferous.

Edited by cngodles
  • I found this Informative 2

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

I agree with the others. It might have helped if we knew the age or whether these came from the same site since it may be that the Aviculopina genus will be reserved for specimens from the Permian. Dr. Yancey should clear this up soon with some clear characters to make comparisons between similar species. The goniatite appears to be Eoasianites sp. with that squared-off umbilical margin and depressed whorl profile and they can be found in the Late Permian or Pennsylvanian.

Thank you all for the great info.   This was part of a bulk collection that did not have much info,  only labeled Texas fossils.    Interesting bivalve, shape etc.   :notworthy:

I am thinking that the bivalve was from Jacksboro Texas could the bivalve be Paleyoldia / Pennsylvanian upper Carboniferous?   

2 hours ago, Desrosiers1718 said:

I am thinking that the bivalve was from Jacksboro Texas could the bivalve be Paleyoldia / Pennsylvanian upper Carboniferous?   

Paleyoldia glabra is on a fauna list for Jacksboro but the growth lines on yours are definitely like what we see on the pinnids from there as well.

• I Agree 1