Unknown Skull, gives me uncertain vibes...

Third and final fossil I was asked to identify which totally stumped me. It honestly gives me weird vibes, and I know that's not scientific at all, but I just couldn't make myself stop wondering if it was a fake. The teeth are certainly real I think, but the texture and appearance of the skull itself just seemed too smooth. Maybe it was lacquered though, as some other specimens in the collection were, and it does have a similar appearance in that regard. there are many fragments clearly held together by glue, and a white sedimentary material within the jaws/cavity. It appears to have a seam running the length of the skull across the top which leads to a sort of ridge, which reminds me of what I've seen on rhinoceros skulls in my other research projects earlier today.

Almost 6" tall from lowest point of the jaw to top of the ridge.

Nearly 8" long, from farthest point of snout back of skull.

3-4" wide, so certainly very narrow, but fossils do get squashed sometimes, so I'm not certain how helpful that measurement really is.

20230531_162944.jpg

20230531_162805.jpg

20230531_162841.jpg

20230531_162907.jpg

20230531_162913.jpg

20230531_162920.jpg

20230531_162924.jpg

An oreodont from the White River Formation of South Dakota, I think. 

Maybe Merycoidodon? 

• I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Cool Skull. I agree with, Adam. It Looks like it is Merycoidodon culbertsoni. Definitely from the White River Formation. Definitely possibly from the White River Formation of South Dakota.

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

11 minutes ago, fossilhunter21 said:

It Looks like it is Merycoidodon Culbertsoni. Definitely from the White River Formation. Definitely possibly from the White River Formation of South Dakota.

If it is that species then it should be Merycoidodon culbertsoni. 

Species names are never capitalized even if it is someone's name or a geographical location. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

If it is that species then it should be Merycoidodon culbertsoni. 

Species names are never capitalized even if it is someone's name or a geographical location. ;)

Oops... Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason my phone capitalized it... :s_confused: 

Cheers and Shalom,

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

I agree with the others. It’s a nice Merycoidodon culbertsoni. It looks real to me and you’re right. It has been coated with something thats making it so shiny. Its missing a few pieces like the zygomatic arches but all in all a nice skull.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, oreodont and a nice one. It does appear coated with some material. If the sheen bothers you, gently dab the surface with some acetone. Don't soak it, however, as I suspect whatever agent was employed, it is helpful in maintaining the general integrity of the piece. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you all so much! I was really lost as to how to figure this one out. You've all been so great!