Unknown Fossil, Maryland, Calvert County

ArmoredSun

• New Members

Hello all,

First of all, thrilled to find this website--I've had this fossil for about a year now after finding it on a lark and I had not been able to make even anything close to an identification/match to any example or description in easily-found online guides to fossils in the MD region. It has this almost chemistry-structural-formula hexagonal pattern that turns into a series of...fine/leafy branches in parallel? It also appears to have some regular hollow cavities on the rim, as if whatever it was was honeycombed/hollow. My guess is some sort of coral but as I said I haven't been able to find any match at all, so any notions would be appreciated! Also please do feel free to let me know what other info/images would be of help, I read the "New Users Please Read" guides for this sort of thing but definitely want to be sure I cover all the steps. Thanks so much--it'd be really cool to put a name to this lil' guy, even if it's qualified with a "we THINK it's a _____"! 

DSC_8288.JPG

DSC_8292.JPG

DSC_8293.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Welcome to the forum! It looks like a sand dollar fragment from what I’m seeing. You’ll find them pretty frequently in Calvert. IMG_2834.thumb.jpeg.c4d469f7ec9a8fa29a4fa21c9241667e.jpegIMG_2835.thumb.jpeg.2ffe4a45be4976aad4a77865da19e1a9.jpegThere’s some that I’ve kept. I hope this helps you out. 

• I Agree 5

• New Members
5 hours ago, Elmo said:

Welcome to the forum! It looks like a sand dollar fragment from what I’m seeing. You’ll find them pretty frequently in Calvert. IMG_2834.thumb.jpeg.c4d469f7ec9a8fa29a4fa21c9241667e.jpegIMG_2835.thumb.jpeg.2ffe4a45be4976aad4a77865da19e1a9.jpegThere’s some that I’ve kept. I hope this helps you out. 

Ahh that definitely looks like it! You can see the coloring/texture is very similar. I had seen others with much more complex hexagonal patterns--as one of yours does--, and so I wasn't sure if mine was the same or just had similar growth. Thanks so much! 

I can tell already that the Collecting Interesting Things part of my brain has found a new lifetime hobby!

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, ArmoredSun said:

Ahh that definitely looks like it! You can see the coloring/texture is very similar. I had seen others with much more complex hexagonal patterns--as one of yours does--, and so I wasn't sure if mine was the same or just had similar growth. Thanks so much! 

I can tell already that the Collecting Interesting Things part of my brain has found a new lifetime hobby!

It’s a very addictive hobby. It’s pretty exciting whenever you find something that’s not already in your collection. I’ll be down the Calvert area at least 2 Mondays a month if you ever want to go out hunting together.