Scouting Kingston Ontario

ChasingGhostsYT

Staying at Bobs lake in Ontario this week for the family’s summer trip. Unfortunately the area we’re staying at is unfossiliferous, being compromised of Precambrian granite and gneiss, however scouting out nearby Kingston and I’m hopeful at my prospects. I have a few sites I’ve scouted out and plan to hit in the following days, but I’d like to ask more about the laws/do’s and don’ts before I start any digging. I’ve read a few articles online and it’s started to make me rethink digging, so any further  information helps out. Thanks for reading, and I hope I can follow this up with a successful post!

Likely what you know already: 

* No entering quarries without permission and full safety equipment

* No digging in conservation areas and designated provincial parks

* No stopping at road cuts along the main highway (401)

In Kingston, the main limestone is Gull River Fm, which is a slightly older/lower Ordovician unit. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Likely what you know already: 

* No entering quarries without permission and full safety equipment

* No digging in conservation areas and designated provincial parks

* No stopping at road cuts along the main highway (401)

In Kingston, the main limestone is Gull River Fm, which is a slightly older/lower Ordovician unit. 

Thanks for the reply man! I did find all sights I was scouting were Gull River Fm. I’m excited to poke around, I’m with my parents they were reading Alberta and British Columbia sites quoting we can’t dig, however It was to my understanding we can take up to 50 lbs of invertebrate material. Once again thanks for the info man.