Is this a Rebbachisaurus tooth?

Othniel C. Marsh

The tooth shown below is supposed to be that of a Rebbachisaurus garasbae. However, insofar as my understanding goes, most sauropods of the superfamily Diplodocoidea have rather peg like teeth. Based on my limited knowledge of sauropod teeth I'd be inclined to place this as a titanosaur. Am I right in my assumption?

image.png.447e4f3adba0d93ec1c3ea904425755e.png

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Othniel

Not an expert in these particular type of teeth. Would lean more towards Titanosaur, not much is known from them Sauropods from Moroccan . However this is a very poorly preserved one and I would stay away from it, the root is 100% re-atached to the crown with some filler , on top of that the root also has a repaired crack, and the crown itself is also very poorly preserved. They are pretty common and there are much beter ones around for not allot of buck.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Rebbachisaurus being a Diplodocoidea has peg teeth.  They tend to have a slightly different morphology than the Titanosaurid teeth we typically see from the Kem Kem.  They are typically faceted and smaller.  Images of both.

Identification spelling needs fixing its Rebbachisaurid indet. Rebb2.thumb.jpg.3eca4bf615f83c54d6e9ffe66e3af62b.jpg.1ed803c0694ab787929b2f05699916de.jpg

Titan5.thumb.jpg.6621e2abc33d74f15a3a9b9e45a62d97.jpg.282ae099b41783b9d1de2f014bed621a.jpg

Agree the tooth you have is a indet Titanosaurid.  Preservation is not the best and the root has been reattached.  Hard to determine off one image but the crown may not be complete with some portion of the apical end missing.  Like Phos 01 indicated much better ones are available and they are very common teeth.  I will add that a good number of sellers identify these teeth as Rebbachisaurus since our knowledge that Titanosaurids are present in the Kem Kem is a fairly recent.

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Agree the tooth you have is a indet Titanosaurid

4 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

Would lean more towards Titanosaur

Thanks Troodon and Phos_01

Just a note for clarification Titanosauriformes are not Diplodocoidea but in the clad of Macronaria

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Just a note for clarification Titanosauriformes are not Diplodocoidea but in the clad of Macronaria

I don't think I ever said Titanosauriformes were within Diplodocoidea, but thanks for mentioning it anyway.