Fullux

Sorry, there don't appear to be enough identifying characteristics to determine much about this piece of bone.

• I Agree 2

I agree it is going to be hard to ID the species or position of this bone. At a minimum you could try a burn test to see if it is mineralized or not.

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like a fossil. I'm a little surprised that it would be found there though. I thought the area was mostly Paleozoic. 

15 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

Sorry, there don't appear to be enough identifying characteristics to determine much about this piece of bone.

No worries, I was assuming that'd be the case.

Crossing my fingers for a cretaceous site!

Just now, Rockwood said:

It looks like a fossil. I'm a little surprised that it would be found there though. I thought the area was mostly Paleozoic. 

I found it in a site where I usually find fossils from the Drakes formation, which is Ordovician.

I was surprised too.

My guess is its Pleistocene but I'm really hoping for it to be Cretaceous.

9 minutes ago, debivort said:

I agree it is going to be hard to ID the species or position of this bone. At a minimum you could try a burn test to see if it is mineralized or not.

Never done a burn test before, how exactly would I go about that? What should I look for?

Just now, Fullux said:

Never done a burn test before, how exactly would I go about that? What should I look for?

hold up a clean flame (like the one from a butane lighter) to the part of the bone you care least about. If it is not mineralized, you'll get an unpleasant smell, like burning-hair. If it is mineralized, you shouldn't smell anything.

• I found this Informative 1

36 minutes ago, debivort said:

hold up a clean flame (like the one from a butane lighter) to the part of the bone you care least about. If it is not mineralized, you'll get an unpleasant smell, like burning-hair. If it is mineralized, you shouldn't smell anything.

Ok, I'm smelling something but what I think it is is burning soap because I recently cleaned it. I burned some of the same soap I used for comparison and the two smelled exactly the same.

Fortunately, there is a second test. Tap it lightly with a butter knife or the like. If the sound is high pitched like fine china would make it's mineralized. Modern bone will sound more like wood. Not much more, but a little.   

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Fullux said:

I found it in a site where I usually find fossils from the Drakes formation, which is Ordovician.

I was surprised too.

My guess is its Pleistocene but I'm really hoping for it to be Cretaceous.

I think this is a modern bone fragment. Water warn and discolored from the creek is my guess. Especially if you found it in your usual Drakes Formation (Upper Ordovician) spot.

It’s not Cretaceous. There isn’t any Cretaceous in the Louisville area. In fact the Cretaceous is almost non existent here in Kentucky.

A quick reference:

https://www.uky.edu/KGS/fossils/fossil-age-Cretaceous.php

I guess it could be Pleistocene. Quaternary deposits are scattered here and there. :shrug:

Edited by FossilNerd
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

15 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I think this is a modern bone fragment. Water warn and discolored from the creek is my guess. Especially if you found it in your usual Drakes Formation (Upper Ordovician) spot.

It’s not Cretaceous. There isn’t any Cretaceous in the Louisville area. In fact the Cretaceous is almost non existent here in Kentucky.

A quick reference:

https://www.uky.edu/KGS/fossils/fossil-age-Cretaceous.php

I guess it could be Pleistocene. Quaternary deposits are scattered here and there. :shrug:

I'm sure its not Cretaceous. I just a running gag with some of my buddies that one day I'll find a Cretacrous site in Louisville. It sure would be something.

3 hours ago, Fullux said:

I'm sure it’s not Cretaceous. I just a running gag with some of my buddies that one day I'll find a Cretacrous site in Louisville. It sure would be something.

Gotcha.

That would be something for sure. Hoping you find it one day! :fingerscrossed:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)