Help! Repair a crack in a fossil bone

commy

Dear Forum,

I just joined because I need your help and suggestions how to fix a crack in a fossil bone.

The bones were glued together with some sort of Epoxy glue but you still see the crack.

Is there any way to "beautify" the break so that you can't see the crack anymore, or at least not as easily? Please see attached file for the crack.

Maybe fill up the crack with Epoxy too?

Thanks to you all :)

Bone_repair_fossil.jpg

a very small drop of thin cyanoacrylate deposited in the more open part of the crack on the right portion of the photo.  Cyano is good because it will seep into the crack.  Epoxy will not.  

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, jpc said:

a very small drop of thin cyanoacrylate deposited in the more open part of the crack on the right portion of the photo.  Cyano is good because it will seep into the crack.  Epoxy will not.  

Agreed! The number one concern is further damage

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Thanks for your answers!

What about mat varnish? Like a drop on it?

Or will the cyanoacrylate make it look like before the crack? With cyanoacrylate I worked only a few times and it's very thin liquid and were it is on surface it makes a... glossy film. So drippin it in the crack would make the crack looks shiny?

Thanks again :)

The drop of CA glue being mentioned as very small...means, IMO, VERY small. Like put one normal drop on a non porous object like a piece of clean glass, plastic or metal and then use a pin, needle or similar tool to "pick up" a very little amount on the point and gently touch the bone crack at the wide part on

the right to allow the glue to wick off of the pointy tool and into the crack. Magnification glasses of some sort would help guide the micro dot of glue to the crack only. Just not so much as to make a shiny blob of glue or even matte varnish on top of the bone surface. 

The other cracks are ancient looking because they are... the new crack draws the eye because of the whiteness of it...make the new crack look old.

A cosmetic touch up perhaps.  Smear some color matching dirt into the crack. Or something similar like a tinted wax. 

Edited by SPrice
  • I Agree 1