Measuring the Past: Unveiling the Rulers of Paleontological Exploration

Denis Arcand

Diving deeper into this topic promises to be quite fascinating. Let's delve into the array of ruler types that paleontologists employ during fieldwork: from trusty metal rulers to the compact convenience of credit card-sized ones, even the adaptable paper rulers and intricately crafted custom-made ones. These tools accompany explorers as they venture into the field, aiding them in accurately measuring fossils and capturing their findings' dimensions creatively through photography. This exploration not only sheds light on the practical tools of the trade but also unveils the ingenious ways in which these rulers serve to illustrate the scale of remarkable discoveries. While buttons, straws, or phone cases might come to mind as alternative measuring tools, for the purposes of this discussion, we're focusing on dedicated rulers, it's important to note that only actual rulers, whether metric or imperial, are allowed in this discussion. So, no pennies, keys, or unrelated items. We're looking for pure ruler ingenuity.

Which kind of ruler do you prefer to use in the field?

Share a snapshot of your ruler with us, if you can. We'd love to see it!

Tell us about what you likes and dislikes about your ruler ?

Edited by Denis Arcand
  • Enjoyed 2

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

To kick things off, I personally opt for an IKEA ruler.

What I Like:
I find my paper ruler quite convenient as it easily slips into my wallet – a trusty companion that accompanies me wherever I roam. Its length proves advantageous, aiding in the measurement of strata and geologic formations. Additionally, its utility extends to shopping trips with my wife, as we gauge furniture dimensions together.

What I Dislike:
However, the fragility of this paper ruler poses a downside, as its lifespan is disappointingly short-lived. The occasional necessity of accompanying my wife to IKEA for a replacement —fortunately, she embraces this task with enthusiasm. After all, what wife could refuse such an opportunity?

white-paper-tape-measure.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=0Il8QabbqW9DeTKF5AA1Bwj75f5ABGYaJSfMXka1JFY=

Edited by Denis Arcand

personally i use something simmilar to the Ikea ruler above except i have mine laminated so they are less fragile and can get wet. I also have a bit of 'blue tack' or 'poster tack' on the back so i can stick them onto vertical surfaces if need be. 

the rulers i use are usually 1cm tick and 5cm in length.

personally, i very much dislike the use of coins as someone who lives in Australia, i have no idea how big a euro or american quarter is. Let alone an european or american knowing how big an Australian dollar is. 

Edited by Josh_irving
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Josh_irving said:

I also have a bit of 'blue tack' or 'poster tack' on the back so i can stick them onto vertical surfaces if need be. 

Good idea. Sometimes you have a hard time getting the measuring device square with the camera. Or, you can’t place the measuring device in the right spot without covering up something of interest.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have just made this a scale  photo badge . Simply pin on to your rucksack and go. Cheap to make. What do you lot think? 

4A94F009-D4F8-452F-9D47-D723ACD35413.jpeg

69B219DC-4148-4C9D-826E-CE7F484FCE88.jpeg

02AC1381-34E4-453E-A2BA-D5FC4505EC45.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I have just made this a scale  photo badge . Simply pin on to your rucksack and go. Cheap to make. What do you lot think? 

4A94F009-D4F8-452F-9D47-D723ACD35413.jpeg

69B219DC-4148-4C9D-826E-CE7F484FCE88.jpeg

02AC1381-34E4-453E-A2BA-D5FC4505EC45.jpeg

What is the measurement of? From one edge to another? The diameter? :Confused04:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

4 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

What is the measurement of? From one edge to another? The diameter? :Confused04:

It a 1 inch or 25 mm badge  with inch and mm rule ,

On 8/5/2023 at 12:46 AM, Josh_irving said:

personally i use something simmilar to the Ikea ruler above except i have mine laminated so they are less fragile and can get wet.

Laminating the paper ruler sounds like a clever idea that I'm seriously considering. This simple step could spare me a trip to IKEA, which is quite convenient. Although, I'm aware that my wife might feel a bit disappointed about it.

• Enjoyed 1

On 8/5/2023 at 5:13 AM, Bobby Rico said:

4A94F009-D4F8-452F-9D47-D723ACD35413.jpeg  69B219DC-4148-4C9D-826E-CE7F484FCE88.jpeg  02AC1381-34E4-453E-A2BA-D5FC4505EC45.jpeg

I can definitely see the appeal of your idea! Creating a scale photo badge for your rucksack sounds like a practical and convenient solution. It's easy to locate and readily available whenever you need it, which can be incredibly handy. Additionally, the concept of attaching it to your rucksack is smart as it ensures you always have a ruler on hand while on the go. 

By incorporating this scale photo badge, you've essentially transformed a basic item into a functional tool, making it a useful addition to your daily paleontology life. Kudos to your resourcefulness!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Denis Arcand said:

Laminating the paper ruler sounds like a clever idea that I'm seriously considering. This simple step could spare me a trip to IKEA, which is quite convenient. Although, I'm aware that my wife might feel a bit disappointed about it.

Can get some printable rulers off the internet too that work well. If you use the IKEA ones i reccoment cutting them to size that way you get multiple from the one tape. I find the larget scale i need is rouchly 30cm 

On 8/6/2023 at 7:17 PM, Denis Arcand said:

paleontology life. Kudos to your resourcefulness!

Thank you so much, I also think this “Photo badge “ could be really useful. I have used it over the weekend in doors to photograph some of my collection. I have a beautiful photo cube that I normally use but being a cube, the shape sometimes can get In the way ( close ups, focus issues and shadows). I am not in anyway trying to replace the ruler as a part of a tool kit. I do think a small scaled object like a photo cube can make it easier to imagine the size of fossil pictured.  Sometimes I find if a ruler is not used well and not lined up correctly it can be difficult to work out a size, especially on a fossil that spreads in different ways. With say a photo badge your mind can see that the fossil is about 3 badges wide and 6 badges high.  Having it pin to your rucksack must be a winning idea even just as backup rule.  

I think I am going to look at the design to see if it can be improved and then maybe I will sale them here on the forum , if that’s possible ? 

Sorry I am really dyslexic so I hope I made sense. 

thanks again Bobby . 

• Enjoyed 3

Just finished the photo badge design. This really could be worth pinning to your rucksack . :thumbsu:

9E3AFE76-0150-48F0-B03D-EC7FB406D197.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Here is a design of mine to go on a 2 cm disk. It is a “round ruler” for those tight spots. I’d probably change the blue letters and numbers for white if my device allowed.

AD5CC3DF-6658-47B0-A930-0DD1796A909C.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 1 month later...

Nice! lotsa options for getting accurate measurement instead of a one size does not fit all "hand, foot, coin, etc."  I apparently missed this thread when I made up the cards PDF.