Middleburg Florida find.

JoMammasAcct

Found in middleburg Florida. I generally just hunt for round rocks to epoxy but this one was stood out. There are actually a lot more like it but this is the only one with definition. Really just curious if someone knows anything about what it might be. 

DCD982B5-0D4F-405F-9516-DA1694A0EAD3.jpeg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Middleburg Florida find.
On 8/20/2023 at 12:33 PM, JoMammasAcct said:

Found in middleburg Florida. I generally just hunt for round rocks to epoxy but this one was stood out. There are actually a lot more like it but this is the only one with definition. Really just curious if someone knows anything about what it might be. 

DCD982B5-0D4F-405F-9516-DA1694A0EAD3.jpeg

Could you add photos from other angles?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Hard to say without further pics.

If there are lots of similar pieces and only few have a fossil- like shape thats at least an indication the shape could be coincidence. Happens with karst erosion, flint nodules, slag...

Lets just see.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Good morning and Welcome to TFF..  I hope you like it here. I live on the Southwest coast and hunt fossils in Bone Valley.  Your find reminds me of one I picked up out of the Peace River and wondered about 10 months ago.  It was different...  What is this black smooth rock ? and are there any fossils attached to it...

Lets think about Florida.. It was under deep oceans 50 mya,  and gradually over that period of time came out into the sunshine sporadically.  Rocks were formed and hardened from all sorts of materials smoothed by the action of waves and water... I stared at it for a long while when 1st found, trying to figure if any of those attached concretions or lighter areas were actual fossils.. could not find any.. Kept it catching water under a drainpipe..  I hope we get an answer... What is this black rock that seems so different from all else we find in Florida?

IMG_2562.thumb.JPG.c249ac22509f10261529bc4c58cec347.JPGIMG_2563.thumb.JPG.634b1aca7ceacb40993121e1fa971f89.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

They look like slag to me, but could they be phosphate nodules?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I know zero about this stuff but I held it up next to a deer spine we have & it really resembles vertebrae. There is so many I’ve found that have similar shapes in them  but are pretty different in size. I’m pretty convinced based on the comparison, just no clue what kind of creature it might have been. 
excuse the red epoxy job on the bone, lol,  but here they are side by side. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi again,

sorry to say that the additional pics make me tend to call it slag also.

You say there are many similar pieces, if they where bones, I´d expect some more to have an identifiable shape.

Finding something looking bonelike between a heap of karst, slag or flint on the other hand is quite common, those materials produce very organic looking shapes. Happened to me again and again. I do not see bone detail in your find, although the overall shape somewaht resembles bone. Not a vertebra though, from the first pic I thought maybe a periotic.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley