Bite traces? Tamiami Formation bone fragment

Plantguy

Hey gang,

Going thru chucking things out of the garage piles and noticed this good sized, highly weathered chunk of bone which has some parallel grooves/marks that I'm interpreting as possible shark bites. Want to confirm that assumption and ask if that is the case, could the upper 3 somewhat parallel lines and the 2 lower lines be single bites showing 3 teeth and 2 teeth respectively? The one mark on the upper left seems to be slightly curved so would that be consistent with a different angle/different shaped tooth position? 

1899799309_Tamiamiformationbonefragmentwithtracemarks.thumb.jpg.d9b4b30d2fad07f9c5f8ee687b945dc8.jpg

190806074_Tamiamiformationbonefragmentwithtracemarkshighlighted.thumb.jpg.84521e94b85197c00dce9c41609ceccc.jpg

Just wondering what you all think? 

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
title edit
  • Enjoyed 2

• Plantguy changed the title to Bite traces? Tamiami Formation bone fragment

Thanks for the Topic,  

I believe that yours are bite marks,  specifically of sharks  but would like to hear that we can differentiate the bites of sharks from wolves by looking at them..  Here is an example from the net,

BiteMarks.jpg.4377ca0b177d2975319745a1b0e6531b.jpg

I also have found a few that provide evidence of feeding frenzy

HemiPristisSerraSbyS.jpg.feb896710c7250ae757b56751840082b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"