A few floral & faunal unknowns from Braceville

Anomotodon

I went on a trip to the Braceville spoil pile (Pennsylvanian deposits of Francis Creek shale, similar to other Mazon Creek locations but more marine) with the ESCONI club last week. Some of my concretions have already opened and there are a few things I am not sure about. Most of these might be totally unidentifiable, but just in case wanted to check - any input would be great.

1. I think I see some resemblance to a partial whorl of Spiropteris (curvature, and it seems like there are 1.5 whorls present). Could that be the case or it just some miscellaneous plant bit?

image.thumb.png.2b3fb8267ead89bd9399e65ee9df88f1.png

2. This one cracked poorly - is this worm identifiable at all? I don't see any evidence of jaws or segmentation.

image.thumb.png.3043ec152c055b8d43b84e976155fe96.png

3. This one is just weird - possibly a coprolite or a bivalve mold? If so, it would be a quite large bivalve. I don't see a hinge or any evidence of shell texture though.

image.thumb.png.f81f4f63fdfa7ab3f4dae56c086a526d.png

4. Possibly a messed up Achistrum?

image.thumb.png.55ff50ea7c3d3cbab900fe81aa636ab2.png

5. The elongated leaf in the middle somewhat looks like a small Cordaites leaf?

image.thumb.png.685184ad83b490c44bc968951f0c9c7b.png

Edited by Anomotodon
  • Enjoyed 3

The Tooth Fairy

I'm afraid I don't see enough here for IDs beyond "miscellaneous plant material" for 1 and 5. Numbers 2-4 appear to be mineral staining and deposits. 

• I Agree 2