DPS Ammonite

This fossil with faint triangular outline is covered in a bryozoan was found in the Pennsylvanian Naco Fm. near Kohl’s Ranch. Is it a flattened conulariid?

2 cm coin for scale.

6F897ED4-D9EF-4D20-B03F-89AC1EE56615.jpeg

664DAD52-F08A-436B-BAD8-5484B7957551.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I would say that is a possibility, however you should also note that some pennsylvanian orthocones have a very similar wavy ornament and when flattened can look like conulariids.

• I found this Informative 1

It looks a classic conulariid to me, with face centre line on the left and corner on the right, the horizontal ridges being typically flexed.

6F897ED4-D9EF-4D20-B03F-89AC1EE56615.jpeg.afbafcc8b1952186c90d6c4cc25b15c8.thumb.jpeg.88ff039bb36c7f097568d643e16852eb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tarquin

I’m also in the conulariid camp, and agree with TqB.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It is only the second piece of a conulariid that I have found from the Naco. Not quite like picking up multiple whole Conularia from Jacksboro, Texas.

• Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

10 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It is only the second piece of a conulariid that I have found from the Naco. Not quite like picking up multiple whole Conularia from Jacksboro, Texas.

Aw, John, you're making me feel like a spoiled, rotten kid! I've always heard they are not that common most places but it's hard to imagine. At least your experience here gave you the eye to recognize one when you see it ;)

• Enjoyed 1