How to display Theropod teeth

Joy_Fossils

Hi everyone! 

Now that we have finally overcome the shock of finding two teeth in one day, I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on how to display/store them? These are our very first teeth, and my son would kill me if they broke because I was storing them wrong. Should I put a layer of resin or something over them? Or should I put them in a box with cotton cushioning the bottom? Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks, Joy.

Drill holes in them and hang them from a necklace. :BigSmile:

I agree, riker mounts are probably best. Making a custom stand is also a possibility if you have some woodworking/metalworking skills. 

• Thank You 1

I know some people like the "floating displays" that have become more common in recent years. Like the others suggested, I am a big fan of riker mounts for displaying teeth. You might take a look at this thread as well.

• Thank You 1

One more vote for riker boxes, tooth is safe and still displayable.

Normal box with cushioning works too, as long those are safe from damage. But notice that tooth might move in the box if you are not carefull. In riker it stays still.

I ended up putting my collection in to class cabinet, but that takes some space.

• Thank You 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

10 hours ago, Joy_Fossils said:

Hi everyone! 

Now that we have finally overcome the shock of finding two teeth in one day, I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on how to display/store them? These are our very first teeth, and my son would kill me if they broke because I was storing them wrong. Should I put a layer of resin or something over them? Or should I put them in a box with cotton cushioning the bottom? Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks, Joy.

Riker cases by far if safety is important. There are many different sizes (can get smaller for individual teeth or larger to display multiple) but they all hold very securely and in my experience don't jiggle when moving. Also won't have to clean them as you would with an open display.  Still wouldn't want to drop them but that's the same with any display case.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

I only have one Riker case  but that seams to be a very safe way to go. Depending on the size of you fossils their are members who use square plastic gem boxes they look very cool and with both options you can add text and images to the display. As an example a imagine from a seller in the U.K , selling  a tooth in the display box.

48053D09-B242-4360-8D9C-656C25FB0B68.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Thanks to everyone for the input! Looks like a riker case is the way to go.

I will post a picture of the teeth in the case when get one!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a little trouble finding a riker case in the right size, I will use a small jewelry box we got from india and put some cotton on the base. 

2E0C43B7-0AE1-47CE-B752-EAA84417751F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Joy_Fossils said:

I had a little trouble finding a riker case in the right size, I will use a small jewelry box we got from india and put some cotton on the base. 

This box reminds me of an interesting magnetic can case from a Japanese dollar (100 yen) store. It's a bit weird and unconventional, but it is an interesting option, especially if you have a metal display case, or hang up a metal board on a wall. Just stuff it with cotton or anything inert to keep it in place similar to a riker. I just threw a common Dactylioceras in there just to give an example. It is a 1 dollar product, so I would be a bit cautious of putting anything too heavy or rare in these though.

Recently these Japanese dollar stores have been popping up outside of Japan, so if there's one nearby, I'd check it out. They have a bunch of things catered towards displaying collectables of all different hobbies.

image0(29).jpeg.6298944de3b3e5fb988f78b2112e70bb.jpegstickycancase.png.14f2d1cc2d6d200745a641fa7526c23e.png

4 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

This box reminds me of an interesting magnetic can case from a Japanese dollar (100 yen) store. It's a bit weird and unconventional, but it is an interesting option, especially if you have a metal display case, or hang up a metal board on a wall. Just stuff it with cotton or anything inert to keep it in place similar to a riker. I just threw a common Dactylioceras in there just to give an example. It is a 1 dollar product, so I would be a bit cautious of putting anything too heavy or rare in these though.

Recently these Japanese dollar stores have been popping up outside of Japan, so if there's one nearby, I'd check it out. They have a bunch of things catered towards displaying collectables of all different hobbies.

image0(29).jpeg.6298944de3b3e5fb988f78b2112e70bb.jpegstickycancase.png.14f2d1cc2d6d200745a641fa7526c23e.png

Thank you so much for the suggestion! We know do two Japanese stores near where we live (Miniso and Oomomo), so we will definitely look for those boxes! Hopefully we also find something worth displaying in those boxes as well!

Another vote for rikers, i also use tiny jewelry type boxes with cotton in them for the smaller & lesser quality ones I find. 

I vote for rikers as well. I use them for so many of my teeth

367698596_Cretaceousfishes1.jpg

2102236336_Moroccan_Dinosaurs1.JPG

241181641_Predator-Sea_Box3.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!