I’m going to Purse tomorrow and I want to play a game.

Elmo

I’m really excited that so many people have participated, keep the numbers coming. I’ll reveal the number on Wednesday! 
The trip went well today. It was pretty cold out this morning and wading around in the water wearing my Crocs was a little uncomfortable, but it was worth it. I managed to find 191 ray plates, 79 sharks teeth, 4 skate teeth, 3 reptile teeth (I’m guessing), and 82 fragments. I also found a nonfossil item and I’m curious if anyone has a clue to what it is. It’s definitely organic and it a firm object, no give at all when trying to squeeze it. My guess is an alien egg, but I could be wrong. 

IMG_2231.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

IMG_2233.jpeg

IMG_2234.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

52 minutes ago, dsaavedra said:

That's an Osage orange fruit.

Thank you, I had never seen or heard of it before today. I’m a little disappointed that it’s not an alien though. 

• Enjoyed 1

Impressive haul @Elmo! I find not many people enjoy collecting ray teeth as much as I do, but I do like seeing another who does

those 'reptile teeth' look like croc to me. Also some nice mini otodus

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Vae70 said:

Impressive haul @Elmo! I find not many people enjoy collecting ray teeth as much as I do, but I do like seeing another who does

I love the rays! Most people over look them because they don’t know they exist. It’s funny to me how many people go out for sharks teeth and look over everything else because it’s not pointy. 
I used to say croc teeth, then I was corrected by someone, they told me when they’re that small it could be from a lizard. I’m still new and learning so I’ll conform to others standards until I have the knowledge to prove what I say. 
it seems we hit the same places, one day I’m guessing we’ll cross paths and hunt a little together. 

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

I love the rays! Most people over look them because they don’t know they exist. It’s funny to me how many people go out for sharks teeth and look over everything else because it’s not pointy. 
I used to say croc teeth, then I was corrected by someone, they told me when they’re that small it could be from a lizard. I’m still new and learning so I’ll conform to others standards until I have the knowledge to prove what I say. 
it seems we hit the same places, one day I’m guessing we’ll cross paths and hunt a little together. 

I agree that they're croc teeth. I have found a couple of similar ones at Douglas Point but not three in one trip!

Very interesting to know the name of the fruit. I have probably come across one before but I never bothered to ask myself what it could be. After reading about it on here, I couldn't help but look it up and read more about it. I ended up down a rabbit hole on evolutionary anachronisms - a fascinating topic that I would certainly recommend diving into. 

• Enjoyed 1

6 hours ago, Vae70 said:

I don't see any Otodus teeth here but looks like a Cretalamna tooth (top row, second from the right), which is always a nice Aquia find. And maybe a Pachygaleus lefevrei as well (fourth row, sixth from the right)?

Edited by bthemoose

1 hour ago, bthemoose said:

I don't see any Otodus teeth here but looks like a Cretalamna tooth (top row, second from the right), which is always a nice Aquia find. And maybe a Pachygaleus lefevrei as well (fourth row, sixth from the right)?

I’m going be honest, I don’t know one from the other yet. I figure I’ll spend the winter months learning who’s who in the shark world. I’ve built up some fossils so I have a lot of learning to do. 

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

I’m going be honest, I don’t know one from the other yet. I figure I’ll spend the winter months learning who’s who in the shark world. I’ve built up some fossils so I have a lot of learning to do. 

In addition to this forum, elasmo.com is a great resource to consult as you look to learn the different species -- here's their Aquia Formation page. Most of what you'll find at Purse are sand tigers, which can be difficult to tell apart, but the more you see, read, and research, the better you'll get at being able to differentiate (at least some of) them. By far the most common shark species in the formation is Striatolamia striata, so it's worth spending some time familiarizing yourself with that one (including its different tooth positions--see elasmo.com's reconstructed S. macrota tooth set here, which is helpful for S. striata as well), which will then help you identify teeth that aren't S. striata and that you can try to ID as something else. Many of the teeth at Purse are fairly worn of course, which can make them difficult or impossible to ID, but you'll find gems too and plenty that are distinctive enough to categorize.

Edited by bthemoose
  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, bthemoose said:

In addition to this forum, elasmo.com is a great resource to consult as you look to learn the different species -- here's their Aquia Formation page. Most of what you'll find at Purse are sand tigers, which can be difficult to tell apart, but the more you see, read, and research, the better you'll get at being able to differentiate (at least some of) them. By far the most common shark species in the formation is Striatolamia striata, so it's worth spending some time familiarizing yourself with that one (including its different tooth positions--see elasmo.com's reconstructed S. macrota tooth set here, which is helpful for S. striata as well), which will then help you identify teeth that aren't S. striata and that you can try to ID as something else. Many of the teeth at Purse are fairly worn of course, which can make them difficult or impossible to ID, but you'll find gems too and plenty that are distinctive enough to categorize.

This will be extremely helpful, thank you very much!

Time to share the chosen number, it’s 32. The win goes to EPIKLULSXDDDDD with lucky number 31! Congrats and check DM.

Thank you all for playing along!!!

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1

On 10/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, dsaavedra said:

That's an Osage orange fruit.

Also called a “hedge apple” in my neck of the woods. 

Congrats @EPIKLULSXDDDDD!

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Woohoo! What a nice surprise to come home to. Thanks for setting this up @Elmo!

I've got extra Woodbine matrix at home now that I think of it. Maybe have to make these contest giveaways into a trend ;) 

• Enjoyed 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 12:14 AM, EPIKLULSXDDDDD said:

I've got extra Woodbine matrix at home now that I think of it. Maybe have to make these contest giveaways into a trend ;) 

Congrats.gif.99280b0d45521b0be4fb1a41e677b57c.gif

Used to have lots of contests back in the day.

Would be good to get them rolling again.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/forum/87-contests/

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png