How to remove ironstone from fossils?

Joy_Fossils

Hi everyone!

On our most recent fossil hunt (the one where we found the teeth), we found a very interesting bone. We are trying to identify it, but there is an insane amount of ironstone on it. Are there any tips on removing ironstone? We are hesitant to try scraping it off, because we are afraid we might damage the bone surface. Any tips are welcome!

I was about to say the same thing, but it seems OP has posted photos while we were both typing

1 minute ago, jpc said:

can you show us a photo?  This stuff is notoriously stubborn. 

Seems like I posted photos at the worst time possible! lol

They should be visible now, let me know if you need any more perspectives or photos.

we were simultyping.

Air scribe is the best way to do this, end even then it may not be perfect.  There is a method called The Waller Method that involves chemicals.  I have never tried it but I have seen some fantastic results form it.  I will see if I can find the paper. 

Waller Method

Honestly, I am not sure if your specimen falls into the category f what this works on, but have a great read.

Edited by jpc

1 hour ago, jpc said:

we were simultyping.

Air scribe is the best way to do this, end even then it may not be perfect.  There is a method called The Waller Method that involves chemicals.  I have never tried it but I have seen some fantastic results form it.  I will see if I can find the paper. 

Waller Method 760.65 kB · 3 downloads

Honestly, I am not sure if your specimen falls into the category f what this works on, but have a great read.

what format is your file?  My computer doesnt know what to do with it.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin