How to make sylvania Brachiopods with pyrite shine?

trilobites_are_awesome

Hello. I was wondering how to make from sylvania OH  Brachiopods  with pyrite shine. Because i have some that have pyrite but are covered in matrix and are not sparkling the same way that ones that have been treated with acid.

Thanks!    Trilobites_are_awesome.

Cheers!

James

You could try a wire brush,  (or a rotary tool with a wire brush attachment)  but I suspect you would need an air abrader to get the effect from "manual" preparation.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Will the matrix they are in be safe if soaked in water overnight? If so, get some Iron Out from your local hardware store. Mix it with warm water at an approximate ratio of 1 cup IO to 1 gallon water. You just need enough to submerge your piece. Let it soak overnight. Next day, your pyrite will probably be black, never fear. Scrub it off with a toothbrush and dish soap. Rinse well and let dry completely. This should make your pyrite shine like crazy.

Be warned, this process makes pyrite look silver rather than golden. If you're looking for gold, don't use this process. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

I rinse my pyrite brachiopods (no marcasite specimens) with alcohol, then use a toothbrush with comet to bring the shine back to them. 

• Thank You 1